A piece of "Vengeance is Mine." - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A piece of "Vengeance is Mine."

Hey Garza, you said, "Your summary of the situation in Mexico at the beginning of the 17th Century is not wrong, but is not quite right either."

I'm curious and do want to be factually accurate. What did you find not right? The social order of the gachupines, criollos and mestizos?

I found this in my research... Shortly before dawn on September 16, 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla made a monumentous decision that revolutionized the course of Mexican history. Within hours, Hidalgo, a Catholic priest in the village of Dolores, ordered the arrest of Dolores' native Spaniards. Then Hidalgo rang the church bell as he customarily did to call the indians to mass. The message that Hidalgo gave to the indians and mestizos called them to retaliate against the hated Gachupines, or native Spaniards, who had exploited and oppressed Mexicans for ten generations.

As far as the Criollos, I found this...

The Criollos (singular: Criollo) were a social class in the caste system of the overseas colonies established by Spain in the 16th century, especially in Latin America, comprising the locally born people of pure or mostly Spanish ancestry.[2]
    The Criollo class ranked below that of the Iberian Peninsulares, the high-born yet still commoner class of permanent residence colonists; born in Spain, but who were permanent residents of the colony. But Criollos were higher status/rank than all other castes — people of mixed descent, Amerindians, and enslaved Africans. According to the casta system, a criollo could legally have up to 1/8 (one great-grandparent or equivalent) Amerindian (Octoroon), ancestry and not lose social place.

And the Mestizos..mestizo, plural mestizos, feminine mestiza, any person of mixed blood. In Central and South America it denotes a person of combined Indian and European extraction. In some countries—e.g., Ecuador—it has acquired social and cultural connotations; a pure-blooded Indian who has adopted European dress and customs is called a mestizo (or cholo).

Peons...
    Labor was in great need to support the expanding agriculture, mining, industrial, and public-work jobs that arose from conquerors settling in the Americas. To account for these jobs a system came about where creditors forced debtors to work for them. This system of involuntary servitude was called peonage.
    The origin of this form of involuntary servitude goes back to the Spanish conquest of Mexico when conquistadors forced poor Natives to work for Spanish planters and mine operators. Peonage was prevalent in Spanish America especially in the countries of Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru. It remains an important part of social life, as among the Urarina of the Peruvian Amazon.

As far as I know from what I've read, the social order of Gachupines, Criollos, Mestizos and Peons was a very real influence on the lives of the people of the new colonies of Mexico. The greed and coruption of the new government is also an established fact and affected everyone's life. I didn't really dwell on the original conquering of the indigenous people, but mentioned it as well as the disease that they brought. Where did I go wrong?

Also, other than the formatting, how was the story once you waded through the plodding prologue? I started another thread about an entire chapter springing from one sentence or thought. My wife was telling me that the main character needed to be ruggedly handsome, not a pretty boy. I replied, "Yes, he needs a scar on his face."

Facing the jaguar was a test of his manhood put to him by his uncle. without looking at the format, how is the story? Let me fast forward just a little...

When Felipe entered the barn Andreas was waiting with a calf on a rope. Without a word, they proceeded out to the far end of the pasture. Andreas had already pounded a stake deep into the ground and he tied the calf to it. As if sensing it's fate, the calf began to cry out loudly as soon as they walked away. Dusk was upon them and the night was falling quickly, the full moon hung low in the evening sky.

Andreas had made a blind out of some shrubs, he had left an opening facing the calf at a good bow range and instructed Felipe, " As soon as you shoot, step out of the blind so that you can have the freedom of movement. There is no need to try to conceal yourself, as his eyes will pick you out as if you had a lantern shining on you. Take your shot while the calf is still struggling so the sound of your bowstring will be hidden by his struggles. His reflexes and hearing are so sharp, he will hear the sound of your string and jump the string. Hit him in his heart, not his lungs, then be ready with your lance and strike the center of his chest as he leaps at you. God be with you. I will be at the barn, when you come back we will return and I will help you drag the beast back." With that, Andreas turned and silently walked away.

The night was falling fast and the sound of the insects, frogs and night birds began. Felipe had never noticed how loud they were before, but now they were like a curse. How would he ever hear the beast approaching with this going on? The calf cried out without stopping for it's mother and herd, left alone in the night. After a very short time it was dark, but the full moon illuminated the ground with a silvery light. The shadows grew as the hours passed.

Felipe tried to imagine how much time had passed, it seemed like forever. Perhaps his Uncle Andreas was wrong and the jaguar was not coming tonight. The night wore on, past midnight when suddenly the calf stopped crying out and lowered it's head, peering toward the west. Then it panicked and tried to back away, struggling at the end of the rope crying out loudly. Felipe's heart was pounding so hard he was sure that it could be heard. He very slowly eased his head forward and looked with one eye in the direction that the calf was trying to escape from. He saw nothing but the eerie, moonlit ground. No shape, only shadows.
    Last edited by Ditch; January 1st, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12