Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia

Prompts and word games chat

Originally Posted by Danvok
    As the mighty sun, in the distance, crept
    From its warm sunrise to a cold sunset

================================

That works doesn't it?
    I incline to the belief that when he said, "we write a poem by each contributing an heroic couplet," he meant that each successive poster would add two lines to those preceding, and thereby build the poem in their own post.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; September 27th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.

Except that you got around it by going back to the original premise. That's not fair! And besides, 'stuff' and 'kids' don't really fit with the picture created in the first lines, of an earlier time when language was more correct.

Like your Dad used to say Ox, "Life isn't fair, live with it." Anyway, I did not go back, I stayed with. In my head the next couple of lines will be about what the weather was like and then another couple about the counting, to build up the idea. Also that was the picture you created from what I wrote, I was actually thinking of the Walrus and the Carpenter, they are from an earlier time admittedly, but the reason I was with them was because The heroic couplet might work quite well for comic or nonsense verse of a certain type. So stop getting all "Chuckie bum" about it, as a certain Ms. Sommers might put it, and give us a couplet to work with.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Was a, farmer. took a. These don't sound like iambs to me, I think they are the reverse, with the heavy stress on the first syllable. That is a trochee.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

Told you I can't write poetry.

It's entirely possible that stresses vary by country, I forgot about that. Just as sounds vary, like how the English pronounce saw the same way we pronounce dinosaur. Reminds me of how when French people or when any other-language people learn English, their stresses are all in funny places.

Very kind of you, KLM, to talk of regional stresses, but the fault is mine. I just tweaked two lines from the old song "Sweet Violets." Or, as it was sung, Sweet Viii-oh-lets. Of course, there's also a parody version, but this is a family forum.

Told you I can't be bothered to write poetry.
    You left a bit out, It is like you tell people writing fiction, if you want to do it you have to read it. Now, only guessing, but my feeling is that you are not much of a hearts and flowers man, so go and read some Kipling for a starter, he wrote loads of it.
    Hidden Content

Look mate, I’ll need to put a boy on, just to keep up. I’ve got a lame duck here, two actually, now I think about it, I’m doing private crits for budding novelists, I’m trying to get a long short knocked into shape - which hasn’t been looked at for two days - there's unread library books overdue, and you’re suggesting I Kipple as well. You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Oh well "East is east and west is west" but "If" ...
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast