Prompts and word games chat - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Prompts and word games chat

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I met the bum at a coffee shop
    He liked talking but just couldn't stop
    He put down his brolls
    Last edited by Nacian; August 28th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacian View Post
    He put down his brolls
    I've pulled this from the Limerick thread because the last line makes no sense at all.

I notice that Nellie still hasn't managed to grasp the idea of meter in Limericks. This is a learning process and it might help both of you to read the linked thread and also search out some Limericks with Google and study the form.

What is a Limerick?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok
    There once was a lad from above
    who kept writing up lines to his love
    he looked here an there
    andhe looked everywhere
    but he just couldn't find his emerald

Is this anywhere near it??

For the last line sorry

He made up a sound ??
    Last edited by Nacian; August 28th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Baron
    Ok
    he looked here an there
    andhe looked everywhere
    but he just couldn't find their armoured

Is this anywhere near it??

For the last line sorry

He made up a sound ??
    The last line in your complete limerick lets it down. It doesn't rhyme. It's certainly better and you've got the hang of the meter.

The last line in the second looks good to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Baron..
    he looked here an there
    andhe looked everywhere
    but he just couldn't wind up his rove

Baron
    Thank you Baron..
    he looked here an there
    andhe looked everywhere
    but he just couldn't wind up his rove
    Much better.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you very much Baron

Baron
    The Limerick thread was once one of the most popular. I'd like to see it that way again. I know this may offend some but I think it's unfair that those who can't grasp the concept should spoil it for others. My suggestion is that if people post a line which doesn't fit the form, or that makes no sense, then people should disregard that post and continue from the last line which worked.

I had noticed Nacian doing much better in the cinquain thread as well when I first came back. At their best I think these threads provide a useful introduction to some of the formal aspects of poetry. Some participants will always find a task harder than others, we are all different. Add to that there are some here for whom the concept of formal education is alien and others for whom English is not their native language and I am more inclined to applaud their attempts to join in and achieve understanding for themselves than I am to ignore it. Rather than disapproving their ignorance let's encourage their attempts at enlightenment, the initial task may be harder but the ultimate reward will be greater, and after all bending our minds to the task of conveying our thoughts clearly in a way people want to read is a large part of what most members here are in to.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I had noticed Nacian doing much better in the cinquain thread as well when I first came back. At their best I think these threads provide a useful introduction to some of the formal aspects of poetry. Some participants will always find a task harder than others, we are all different. Add to that there are some here for whom the concept of formal education is alien and others for whom English is not their native language and I am more inclined to applaud their attempts to join in and achieve understanding for themselves than I am to ignore it. Rather than disapproving their ignorance let's encourage their attempts at enlightenment, the initial task may be harder but the ultimate reward will be greater, and after all bending our minds to the task of conveying our thoughts clearly in a way people want to read is a large part of what most members here are in to.
    My method will get others using the thread again. Yours will result in only one or two posting. When people learn that they have to grasp the concept if they want to join in then there's an extra incentive to get it right if they want to play.

I'm repeating what I said before, that those who wish to get the thread moving again may ignore nonsensical posts or those which don't conform to the format and proceed from the last line which worked.