Prompts and word games chat - Page 2

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Prompts and word games chat

Prompts and word games chat

I posted in the Bard's bistro and then thought this board deserves it's own chat thread, so here we are.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

The limerick thread is flying a bit at the moment, great fun to read through as well as participate. Baron has pointed out to me that it might be to our advantage to bring our comments here, in the bard's bistro, and looking through I think he is right, they tend to interrupt the flow, even when people are considerate enough to put them between limericks.

One thing that keeps cropping up is the rhythm and meter of the first couplet, people make the "don't be so uptight" sort of comment when others protest at errors. My personal take is that part of the purpose of challenges to get us to stretch our minds a little, and if you can't be bothered why bother spoiling the other four lines?
    Anyway poets are supposed to be intense sort of people who get into things thoroughly.
    What should be do is a different fish to fry (I love mixing metaphors).l liked Chester'sDaughter's "Beary love" and a suggested alternative, but it is the sort of thing that requires tact and care, and not all poets have these qualities.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

Baron
    I don't know why people keep writing about poets on this forum as though they're some separate species. Writing poetry is something you do. "Poet" describes something that someone does, not what they are.

Maybe we could 'earn' a point each time we do the line correctly, then when the member reaches a set number of points, a limerick star is awarded ( or some such thing ). Of course, that requires someone to be in charge of what is correct. Hmmmm, maybe not such a good idea.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Okay, here's another idea. A Limerick Contest, along the lines of the Poetry Challenge Contest. It could be on a weekly or monthly schedule, depending on interest. It would probably move much faster than the poetry contest, as limericks are shorter. They could be judged by members voting on which one adhered to the limerick rules as well as cleverness etc. This could help us all sharpen our limerick skills, along with just doing our original group limericks.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

I don't know why people keep writing about poets on this forum as though they're some separate species. Writing poetry is something you do. "Poet" describes something that someone does, not what they are.
    Surely what one does infriges onto what one is, thus athletes tend to be fit, gluttons fat, bankers reasonably well off, etc. Poets use words in particular ways for a particular effect and notice connections often unobserved, they become sensitive to certain things. That does not seem unreasonable to me, in fact it is at the basis of this board, just as a karate fighter might harden himself by hitting a board bound with rice straw a poet might sensitise himself by trying one of the challenges in this board.
    Hidden Content

Baron
    It's a narrow view, Olly. Most people who write poetry do many other things as well, and always have, and many different types of people write poetry. Mohammed Ali wrote poetry. Byron hardly fits the picture of the sensitive poetic flower.

Blog Entries
    Up until a few weeks ago, I never really considered the limerick as a form of poetry. You know, the "dirty limerick thing" would come to mind. I've really enjoyed learning the pleasant, simple structure (aa bb a) and getting in touch with the "beat". I understand that there are more structures for the limerick. Would this be the place to explore them?
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Okay, here's another idea. A Limerick Contest, along the lines of the Poetry Challenge Contest. It could be on a weekly or monthly schedule, depending on interest. It would probably move much faster than the poetry contest, as limericks are shorter. They could be judged by members voting on which one adhered to the limerick rules as well as cleverness etc. This could help us all sharpen our limerick skills, along with just doing our original group limericks.
    The poetry challenge died when it was part of LM, at least in part because there was too much confusion there with all the different challenges that were taking place. I'm reluctant to get too many different challenges going again until we see regular input to the main challenge again. If one of the winners suggested limericks as a theme for the main challenge there would be no objection from me.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Up until a few weeks ago, I never really considered the limerick as a form of poetry. You know, the "dirty limerick thing" would come to mind. I've really enjoyed learning the pleasant, simple structure (aa bb a) and getting in touch with the "beat". I understand that there are more structures for the limerick. Would this be the place to explore them?
    If you're talking about discussing various structures then you could do it here, in the Bistro or on the Poetry Discussion board.

If you want to post examples of different structures for feedback then the poetry forum is the place to do it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast