Prompts and word games chat - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: Prompts and word games chat

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    One thing you have done, Rob. Added another word to my knowledge of words that have no known rhyme; requiem.
    So although it may be the last word in one sense it isn't likely to be the last word in a poem. What a poetic thought.

P.S.

Here's another one.

She recited Jack's requiem
    In a veil wiv a lacy 'em,
    But wiv Jack lately dead
    She then shacked up wiv Fred,
    So Jack's brother shot both of 'em.
    Last edited by JustRob; May 1st, 2017 at 07:48 PM.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Question. In prose it's show don't tell; active not passive; etc. What rules of prose apply to poetry? Does poetic license exist and if so what does it allow one to do? Does poetry have it's own unique rules?
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Firstly I would disagree with 'rules', there are techniques which are frequently used and generally effective, but don't rule anything out in prose.

The rules which apply to poetry depend on which sort of poetry; the poetic form. It is worth learning about metrical feet of various sorts as an introduction.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Olly - it isn't perfect, but one could use a twist and end with "ahem".

However, I can't come up with anymore than that right now. boo me...... would that I would be clever today, but sadly that isn't in the cards

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrath View Post
    Question. In prose it's show don't tell; active not passive; etc. What rules of prose apply to poetry? Does poetic license exist and if so what does it allow one to do? Does poetry have it's own unique rules?
    The rules are only in your head, as you choose them. If you choose to write a sonnet you abide by certain rules, fourteen lines in iambic pentameters, split into three parts, a particular rhyming scheme, you know the form. However, you can write a poem in any form you choose, it doesn't even have to make sense, look at 'Howl' or 'Jabberwocky'. Same goes for prose, if you want to write a particular type of story you can choose to write in a particular way, or choose to write on a well known theme. But, poetry or prose, these are all choices, not rules.

Looking for overall rules is a good way of adopting other people's restrictions and strangling your creativity; applying your own restrictions can be stimulating. That is why I can start a thread like 'The rules and regulations' denying rules, and also the 'Limerick' thread as a fun introduction to the pleasure of creating in a formal poetic form.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112