The to too dilema

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The to too dilema

The to too dilema

Does anyone else have an issue with the use of certain words. Too and to always trip me up.

Not the obvious uses like: He went to the store or he ate too much. But when it thins out a bit I get stuck on these two words often.

Here's an example:

To her it was a smell worse than the butt funk from a constipated yak.
    Too her it was a smell worse than the butt funk from a constipated yak.

So which is it? Can anyone offer some exercises or medication to avoid this obvious issue I have?

Mark
    Last edited by MJ Preston; October 18th, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    MJ Preston is an Author and Artist at Large who hails from Canada.
    He is the author of the novels: THE EQUINOX, ACADIA EVENT, HIGHWAYMAN Book One, and numerous short stories and articles.Hidden Content To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Think of too as relating with the amount of something, while to is used to imply certain things.

In your example more or less than enough her does not make any sense, so to would be the proper choice.
    Sincerely,

Me

LOL butt funk from a constipated yak? Nice haha

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ Preston View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with use certain words. Too and to always trip me up. Not the obvious uses like: He went to the store or he ate too much. But when it thins out a bit I get stuck on these two words often.

Here's an example:

To her it was a smell worse than the butt funk from a constipated yak.
    Too her it was a smell worse than the butt funk from a constipated yak.

Do which is it? Can anyone offer some exercises or medication to avoid this obvious issue I have?

Mark

In the phrases '2 the store' and '2 her', '2' obviously has the same core meaning. Consequently it should be impossible not to be able to figure out which is correct in the '2 her' context.

Too, can mean extra, or also.

It was worse than the butt funk from a constipated Yak, too. (also, as well).

He ate too much (extra).

You could stop using 'too' for a while. In the end, you'll get so fed up with writing 'also' and 'as well', you'll find 'too' happens naturally

Quote Originally Posted by The Backward OX View Post
    In the phrases '2 the store' and '2 her', '2' obviously has the same core meaning. Consequently it should be impossible not to be able to figure out which is correct in the '2 her' context.
    Too and to always trip me up. Not the obvious uses like: He went to the store or he ate too much. But when it thins out a bit I get stuck on these two words often
    I already established that I understood the basic idea of too much and to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch
    Think of too as relating with the amount of something, while to is used to imply certain things.

In your example more or less than enough her does not make any sense, so to would be the proper choice.
    Thank you Baruch a simple exercise that should square away my tripping on the word.
    He is the author of the novels: THE EQUINOX, ACADIA EVENT, HIGHWAYMAN Book One, and numerous short stories and articles.Hidden Content To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    If you make sense of Baruch's comment "Think of too as relating with the amount of something, while to is used to imply certain things", all I can say is it's a case of the blind leading the blind. That comment is utter twaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backward OX View Post
    If you make sense of Baruch's comment "Think of too as relating with the amount of something, while to is used to imply certain things", all I can say is it's a case of the blind leading the blind. That comment is utter twaddle.
    If you have something to offer, then please offer it, instead of being condescending.
    Last edited by MJ Preston; October 18th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Hidden Content

It seems pretty easy. Use "too" for "also" AND when it pertains to an amount.

For pretty much everything else, use "to."
    Visit my web site,Hidden Content .

currently homeless--not "under a bridge" homeless, but in a friend's basement
    Blog Entries
    If you have a word processing program on your computer, and the word processing program has a spell check function, then there is probably a grammar check function on there as well. Regardless of what program you use, the grammar check function is usually on the same menu or sub-menu as spell check. With MS Word, the grammar checker puts a little squiggly green line under a grammatically wrong word as it puts a little squiggly red line on a misspelled word. You can also change the grammar check rules for various types of writing--"college thesis", "informal", etc.

Even if you don't use word processing but only have it on your comp, you can still grammar check a block of text by copying the text in question into a new document in word processing and turning on spell check and grammar check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast