Where can I publish my short stories?

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I publish my short stories?

Where can I publish my short stories?

Im looking for a list of places / publications / etc where I can submit my finished short stories (mostly all that I've written that isn't considered a chapter in one of the books Im writing). I'm not looking to get payed or anything, I just want my stuff to be posted up somewhere respectable, you know?

Basically, I want to start a kind of 'writing resume', so I can have something to show for later. I mostly want to try and get some credits under my belt now, so I have something to offer when I'm ready to actually get my book(s) published. (You know, once they're up to that level, etc)

I write mostly modern fantasy, if that helps, though I've been known to write general fiction as well.

Any free publications, magazines, or blogs you guys could share would be neat. I'll continue scrounging around the internet, but help is always nice.
    "I shook my head. I was ashamed to be part of this species. 'Homo sapien', I snorted. One tiny little bug and the whole species goes to shit."

blessedwithwings.blogspot.com

Look into publishing in the little literature review magazines. They usually pay be sending you a few free copies, though some of the older, more established magazines pay money, though not much. Mississippi Review, both print and online, is considered by many to be tops in its class. Southern Literary Review and Sewanee Review are two others I'm familiar with.

Because of the lead taken by the Mississippi Review, many other online magazines have appeared, some affiliated with print mags, others independent. Altogether these make up a large market for short fiction from new writers. Google such terms ad 'literary review magazines' and you'll turn up a wealth of leads.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Take the title of this thread and put it into google.
    Twitter - @RMAmericano

All you need, really: Duotrope's Digest

You can search by genre, length, etc.

Before submitting anything, make sure to use proper manuscript format, follow submission guidelines, and so on.

First, while getting some credits under your belt can be useful, short story credits not all that relevant to getting a novel published. There are (many) exceptions, but my point is, don't write short stories because you think it will help you get a novel deal. A good novel will help you get a novel deal.

Second, google Duotrope's Digest, which has an enormous listing of web and print publications ranging from free, unpaid markets, up to SFWA-listed professional markets paying 5cents a word or more. (Duotrope lists all genres of publications, but you've specified fantasy.) It has a search feature that lets you sort by genre, rate, title, etc.

I can't offer you any specific markets for contemorary fantasy without doing something similar to the above, so I'll leave that to you.
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

Way back, before I decided to concentrate on what had already proven to be profitable, I was told that the way to get to the big time was through the little lit mags. I was assured that the New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly fished in those waters. I managed to get a dozen stories published and went on writing non-fiction to pay the rent and buy the groceries while I waited for the letter from the New Yorker offering to put me on the road to fame and fortune. That was nearly 50 years ago and I'm still waiting. I've always made a good living but I never became rich and famous.

Darn. If I'd only knowed. I coulda been a contenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilasir Maroa View Post
    First, while getting some credits under your belt can be useful, short story credits not all that relevant to getting a novel published. There are (many) exceptions, but my point is, don't write short stories because you think it will help you get a novel deal. A good novel will help you get a novel deal.

Second, google Duotrope's Digest, which has an enormous listing of web and print publications ranging from free, unpaid markets, up to SFWA-listed professional markets paying 5cents a word or more. (Duotrope lists all genres of publications, but you've specified fantasy.) It has a search feature that lets you sort by genre, rate, title, etc.

I can't offer you any specific markets for contemorary fantasy without doing something similar to the above, so I'll leave that to you.
    I'm not trying to get just "short story credits per se"; I just want some credits at all, so that when I AM ready to get published, I dont show up with nothing to show. Im confidant my novel will sell itself, but I want to look marketable in the end.

And yes, I am googling my heart out and searching, I was just wondering if you all had anything particular in mind, or anywhere YOU guys have gotten published in the past, et cetera.

I'm not lazy, I promise. :p
    "I shook my head. I was ashamed to be part of this species. 'Homo sapien', I snorted. One tiny little bug and the whole species goes to shit."

blessedwithwings.blogspot.com

Short stories an novels are different beasts, so while I'm not saying it won't be useful to publish shorts, I think it might be better to concentrate on your novel-length stuff if that's where you want to go with your writing. That said, you can get some good practice from writing shorts, and from the fantasy side, it will help you learn not to overwrite.

Seriously, look at duotrope: http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

Just fill in the proper fields and hit search.
    Check out some websites, read a few issues, see which places might be best for your work.
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

I tried it and it looks like a super good market site. If I were 50 years younger...

Quote Originally Posted by mwd View Post
    All you need, really: Duotrope's Digest

You can search by genre, length, etc.

Before submitting anything, make sure to use proper manuscript format, follow submission guidelines, and so on.
    this.
    Writing cleaner than he lives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast