A Question Regarding Lulu

Thread: A Question Regarding Lulu

A Question Regarding Lulu

I've used Lulu to self-publish Dereliction of Duty and they issued me with an ISBN and will be placing my book in Amazon within a week. However, after doing a little research (hindsight's a great thing, unfortunately) I've discovered a cheaper and far more efficient company called Createspace, which are an offshoot of Amazon.

If I were to delete my book from Lulu and post the same version, with the same cover and name but not the same ISBN, there would be legal issues, right? First-rights claims from Lulu and such.

However, I've heard that if I change the name, cover art, and make alterations to the novel, I should be okay. Any truth to this? The reason I'm asking is that I want to delete it from Lulu and use Createspace to publish the next batch which I need to order. I'm thinking that mightn't be the wisest move, and I'm looking for any pitfalls that may come about from it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I'm guessing that Createspace has been through this with other writers, so perhaps you should also ask them the same.
    We are the Internets. You will be pwned. Resistance is LOL.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    I've used Lulu to self-publish Dereliction of Duty and they issued me with an ISBN and will be placing my book in Amazon within a week. However, after doing a little research (hindsight's a great thing, unfortunately) I've discovered a cheaper and far more efficient company called Createspace, which are an offshoot of Amazon.

If I were to delete my book from Lulu and post the same version, with the same cover and name but not the same ISBN, there would be legal issues, right? First-rights claims from Lulu and such.

However, I've heard that if I change the name, cover art, and make alterations to the novel, I should be okay. Any truth to this? The reason I'm asking is that I want to delete it from Lulu and use Createspace to publish the next batch which I need to order. I'm thinking that mightn't be the wisest move, and I'm looking for any pitfalls that may come about from it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Once an ISBN is issued Lulu will not delete books, they'll only withdraw them from sale. Publishing first rights shouldn't be an issue as you are still self publishing even though the ISBN is issued by Lulu. I know a couple of people who have been picked up by the mainstream with books initially published this way and it hasn't proved a problem. Good sales through Lulu is what persuaded a major publishing house to take them on.

If you still have any concerns then all you need do is to make some minor edits and then republish with Createspace as a revised or second edition.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post

Thanks for any advice.
    Since my previous post I've taken a look at the terms and conditions for Createspace accounts. I wouldn't go there. There are a number of clauses that I would question, in particular their claiming the right to create and use digital copies of your work, or of any portion of your work. Where Lulu do not infringe any area of your rights to your work, Createspace certainly do seem to.

Sam - Both createspace and lulu are 'non-exclusive'. You can have the exact same book in print with both of them, without violating contracts. In fact both suggest using other companies for foreign sales (postage can be horrendous). About the only clause is you can't undercut their prices (and that only applies if you make the book available for public sales).

Both LuLu and Createspace are reputable. The debate is still out as to which is better.

Baron - As I understand it createspace has the 'digital copies' provision to streamline their audio work.
    The true art of writing is saying the most with the least words

Hidden Content