There are NO "wrong words"--and don't let them tell you different - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: There are NO "wrong words"--and don't let them tell you different

I'm not saying it's right, but it seemed to apply very well:

http://magicalwords.net/edmund-r.-sc...re-price-tags/
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

Blog Entries
    Fantastic! I'll look for a market for this piece immediately. Any suggestions?
    Hidden Content in the Daily Dose of Dialogue

The good and bad of publishing: Hidden Content

Ol Edmund is kind of what I'm talking about. One book out with a captive press and he's talking about selling stuff and about how you "have to understand the rules before you break them".
    See my books Hidden Content (and in heaven).

Blog Entries
    Surely there are Rules (which you shall obey or the dreaded 'they' will come and git you) and Rules of Thumb. Not quite the same thing.

I'm not yet convinced though. Maybe I've missed where you've answered this already but if every word is fantabulous and nothing works better than anything else how do we go about improving our writing? Is there such a thing or is everyone actually a perfect writer from the moment they start?

And don't ignore my link!

Nobody said any of that. Nobody said there are no grammatical or spelling rules.

If you can think of a word or part of speech that shouldn't be used, share it with us.

Blog Entries
    Why would I do that? I'm not at war against words. I do think there are rules of thumb that can help writers get past some clunky writing.

Seriously, you'd love that story, it features head hopping and lots of adverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    God, poetry has less rules than anything.

But "you have to know the rules to break them" just DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Do you have to know traffic laws to break them? You put a six year old behind the wheel and he won't break any rules? You have to know the rules of copyright and inheritance structure to break them? Then we'd be crazy to study law.

When I keep seeing people saying something that makes no sense whatsover, I requently assume that what they're saying it to defend also makes no sense.

Well, see they left off an adverb there: "well". Many people break rules, but not everyone does so with a purpose in mind.
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

Actually, almost everybody writes with a purpose in mind. The idea that if they decide to write in second person or change POV in every scene is OK if they've heard some dork say you're not supposed to do it, but not OK if they're just writing their story the best they can and unaware of the literate bullshit is totally bizarre.

As I say, you don't see that weird propostiion put forth in areas of endeavor that actually have actual rules.

None of these idiot rules existed until very recently. Most of the really great writers in history were unaware of them. So....
    never mind. It's pointless to argue questions of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    Actually, almost everybody writes with a purpose in mind. The idea that if they decide to write in second person or change POV in every scene is OK if they've heard some dork say you're not supposed to do it, but not OK if they're just writing their story the best they can and unaware of the literate bullshit is totally bizarre.
    Nobody said any of that.

Blog Entries
    I find the adament "THERE ARE NO RULES" a lot more intrusive than "Here are some rules to keep in mind and disregard as you see fit."
    Which is the only way I've ever been fed any "rules".
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better." - A. J. Liebling