Software for novelists

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Software for novelists

Question Software for novelists

Has anybody used or uses novel software?
    For example the StoryBlue or Snowflake Pro?

Just curious as to if it helps or anything.

-Eden
    Don't be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of either (super helpful, I know), but I would say stuff like that won't hurt, but it certainly won't make the process easy. I don't think anything can do that.

When they invent a program that takes a scene in my head and puts it on paper perfectly, then I'll be onto it. Haha

yea i am just trying to figure out if it is worth it.
    Don't be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try

Blog Entries
    Oh, if you have to pay for it definitely not. There's nothing a program can give you that a simple old Word doco can't. The quality of the novel is up to you.

I visited the the StoryBlue site. There's a free trial, so if it interests you, download it and try it. I just might, for the heck of it. I think it's only 27.00, so if you find it useful, then maybe that's not such a big investment. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, without looking into it.

Fox, a good tool just makes things easier and faster. So who knows? I'm sure you could bang out a novel on typewriter if you had to.
    Last edited by JosephB; June 9th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've tried yWriter which is free. I generally like it except for a couple of things: I don't like the way it formats the output file, and it doesn't allow the files to be password protected. Other than that, it's not a bad program.
    Poet in progress
    Latest interesting blog find: Hidden Content

Baron
    These programs are particularly useful for organising and planning. They allow a system for character profiles and various other notes which can be quite helpful.

I've used a free program called Quickplot on and off for many years. It's been discontinued, but is available here. Nothing else seems as targeted or flexible. I tried yWriter, and it's decent but not as much for me.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Fox, a good tool just makes things easier and faster. So who knows? I'm sure you could bang out a novel on typewriter if you had to.
    Good point. Mine was an ill-informed reply based on the fact that I'd never (till now) heard any writers I know mention using such programs. Apparently I don't know everything? Shock. Haha.

Heh. Well, that is pretty shocking. I need to go have a good lie-down now just to get over it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast