Punctuation? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punctuation?

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Everyone has missed the point completely. Artisans have nought to do with size or placement, only with quality of workmanship, and therefore should be left out. If the artisans are to be included, it necessitates rewriting the damn thing entirely. Back to the drawing board (pun not intended)

As to the punctuation as the passage stands at present, I think we really need to establish whether the placement refers to the building’s location on the plot or the plot’s location between the roads, before this question can be answered properly.

Regardless of how you view that remark, I counsel ignoring all those who voted for #3. Anything coming after a semi-colon has to stand alone as a completely self-contained unit, just like a sentence. #3 doesn’t do this. It would however if it said “large and detached, it occupied a good-sized (thank you mod) plot, on one corner of a junction between major and minor roads.”
    Last edited by The Backward OX; May 28th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

The architect and the artisans responsible knew their craft and it was well placed, large and detached; occupying a good size plot, on one corner of a junction, between major and minor roads.
    Here you go. I agree with simplifying. Ox is correct about the semicolon. Semicolons separate two independent related clauses. You could replace the period after craft below with a semicolon if the two sentences are indeed related.

The architect and the artisans responsible knew their craft. It was well placed, large and detached, occupying a good size plot on one corner of a junction between major and minor roads.
    Last edited by vangoghsear; May 28th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
    "PS: don't take technical advice about cold fusion from someone who can't spell fuzhun."

Hidden Content

Like this?

The architect and the artisans responsible knew their craft and it was well placed; handsome, large and detached, occupying a good size plot on one corner of a junction between major and minor roads.

Thankyou very much everybody, it is after all only one sentence among many, but I did not want to look a total idiot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12