What is Poetry - Page 5

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is Poetry

A related question, does(would) having what you feel is a definition of poetry, help you write poetry better, easier, etc? Verses not having such and perhaps going about writing poetry in a mechanical way?
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Pel, my opinion is that defining poetry limits poetry. So to answer your question, no. Having a definition of poetry doesn't help you write better poetry. But understanding poetic techniques does.

TL Murphy, can't poetry be defined if it has techniques and elements that can be studied and improved? If there are poetic techniques, than that would mean it has some true set of limits that can be examined.

Thonik, you can define technique if you want. Any good poem needs it. We call that craft. But if a poem is only technique then it is only craft. Poetry is more than the sum of its parts. It's art and that makes it difficult to define.
    Last edited by TL Murphy; May 10th, 2019 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thonik View Post
    If there are poetic techniques, than that would mean it has some true set of limits that can be examined.
    The logic is not good, because the techniques are not mandatory there are not set limits.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Linton Robinson View Post
    This says it about as well as anything

Ars Poetica

A poem should be palpable and mute
    As a globed fruit

Dumb
    As old medallions to the thumb

Silent as the sleeve-worn stone
    Of casement ledges where the moss has grown -