Haikai no Renga Article

Thread: Haikai no Renga Article

Haikai no Renga Article

I highly suggest reading it, despite it's length (though it's not too long). I'd like to hear what people think. I'm still digesting it.

Haikai no Renga

yes, fascinating read, i've chosen to pull this part out to highlight ...

(12) The English language currently appears to have one level, one layer. The English language is built for narrative. We dominantly read from 'word to word' in a linear fashion building meaning off the surface of the words. The Japanese language, on the other hand, has three fully distinct layers which interact, which plunge the mind into the word. Each one these layers can add depth to the expression. Take the term Haikai. There is one atomic composition here, and two material compounds: ha-i-ka-i (atomic structure) hai-kai and haikai (all material compounds). The term 'haikai' as a total compound means to 'wander' so let us wander through the universe which is the word 'haikai'. When we look at the multiplicitous meanings of the various terms a complex interweave appears (between atoms and matter). Haikai unfolded-

'I' 1. Raise objection against [an antithesis?].
    2. To make up ones mind [a thesis?].
    'Ha' 1. An edge. To cut.
    2. A school. A clique.
    3. To be divided into two factions. An edge, at odds.
    'Hai' 1. To be reduced to ashes.
    'Ka' 1. Beyond binary: indifference.
    2. A lesson.
    'Kai' 1. An effect or result.
    2. A world, circles.

Hence, we derive the following definition: To raise objection to a school of thought, which divides in two (as 'Ha' and 'I') and to reduce the binary form to ashes, or grey (as 'Hai'). This is to move beyond binaries, and to make up ones mind in a certain direction ('Ka' and 'I'). This produces an effect, or result (as 'Kai') and the circle empties. From this there is a world, or 'universe', born inside the 'circle'. The first form of Kai is 'Kek' (the nothingness and darkness). The second form of Kai is 'life' or 'energy' (sometimes rendered as 'food'). From the emptied mind comes the poem: a vast uni-verse unto itself. Haikai is a lesson in poetry, beginning from the superimposition of being and non-being. The experience then solidifies into a poem, or 'Renga' (linked-verse). The term "no" (in Haikai no Renga) indicates that the poem "belongs" to Haikai, to the spirit we have described. The definitions for Japanese words come from The Kodansha Color Pax English Dictionary (Kodansha, 1994).
    i've often said 'when words fall from heaven, i am at peace' unfortunately
    words don't always fall from heaven and that's when the struggle ensues

a nice way to start the day, thanks for bringing it to my attentions