The WF Challenges Tea Room

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The WF Challenges Tea Room

Blog Entries

The WF Challenges Tea Room

That's right, we already have a coffee shop, so now come to the tea room.
    (We have scones.)

A place to talk all things Challenges, including:

The WF Challenges

Writing Challenges
    (We're sure there's a difference...)

and LM Poetry

Blog Entries
    We have a fun challenge up right now - http://www.writingforums.com/showthr...tion-Challenge In Writing Challenges.

Thanks to Kelhanion.

Now I'm kicking it to you guys, what sort of challenges would you like to see around here?
    Both for the casual Writing Challenges, and the more formal WF Challenges.
    And anyone with some bright ideas for the LM Poetry Challenges - I'm sure Olly would appreciate the encouragement (Come on poets. I see you.)

Edit - Is the word Challenges starting to look weird to anyone else?

Only if I think in terms of rabbit talk, then it's Chawwenges and that's just plain wrong. But Nipit is watching me type this and she has a cawwot.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Vewy cute Mod.

A clean limerick challenge.
    A write like Geisel competition
    A Spoonerism challenge
    Even more bad writing
    Still more bad writing
    son of son of son of bad writing
    A make me spew stuff out of my nose onto the monitor contest
    make me believe the biggest lie you can contest

I gots more
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Anyone else? Come on, people. I can't be the only one here with bad ideas....
    Hidden Content

Sure I had an email from a friend. I decided to spice things up a bit. Not saying its good- just a POC - but something like:

Title-Death Spiral
    I woke up at 1:36 A.M. to see the futures market down another 62 points. The Dow Jones closed at 10,002 2-4-2010. OMG the global economy is cascading again. The dreaded shake of doom is pre-curser to an over priced vauation. I hear the bleak news as I watch t CNN reporters discussing wih there ghoulish eyes of how the technical supports have been broken..and were headed lower. The uneasiness of my imaginary former friends shakes me with drudged anticipation in refilling there minds with temporary market data that they will once again choose to ignore the overall synopsis. Oh goodie I am back again o remind them over and over again! Rofl

Title-Death Spiral
    I woke up at 1:36 A.M. to see the blood market down another 62 liters. The elevator closed on my foot. ( I think I see my toes at the bottom of the shaft.) OMG the glob...al feeding crisis is cascading again. The dreaded shake of my door is a pre-cursor to an onslaught of feeders. I hear the bleak news as I watch CNN reporters discussing with there ghoulish eyes of how the global famine has broken the back of many nations.. (cut to video) severed heads lowered in the fist of feeders. The uneasiness of my imaginary former friends shakes me with drugged anticipation in refilling these jars with new friend's blood. I choose to ignore the screams in my basement. Oh goodie I am back again. Time to remind me over and over again of my first kill!

The concept is we take a para. Something out of the news and jazz it up.
    "I think it's blessed are the cheese makers." "...What's so special about the cheese makers?" - Life of Brian

I like that.
    Hidden Content

I've got another one that has worked well on another site as a more serious writing excercise. "Describe something to a kid."

Below would be the initial post. What do you think?

Basically you have to try and get into the mind of a four and five year old and try and describe a word or phrase. Once you’ve described it, or tried, you then leave a word or phrase for some else to describe. You can take it as a serious exercise or have fun with it. Just keep it PG. Try to keep it short. Make it 10 short lines or a paragraph. (I’ve gone a bit long on mine.)

I’ll go first: What’s a helicopter?
    Boy - What’s a helicopter?
    Dad – Well it has a blade on top that spins.
    Boy – A blade? Like a knife?
    Dad – No. You remember the beanie hats with that little spinning thing on top?
    Boy – Yes.
    Dad – Well imagine that on an airplane.
    Boy- One of those little spinny things on a big plane?
    Dad-Well the helicopter is much smaller.
    Boy-How small? Holding his hands a foot apart.
    Dad-Like about the size of your playset.
    Boy-Why would you put a beanie on a playset?

Describe a Vacuum in Space

The idea is to use dialogue between an older person, usually a mother or father, and a child to show an attempt to describe
    "I think it's blessed are the cheese makers." "...What's so special about the cheese makers?" - Life of Brian

Hmm.

Child-What's a vacuum?
    Parent-An absence of anything else. A bit of nothing.
    Child-Why is there vacuum in space? Does it need to be cleaned often?
    Parent, doubled over laughing-Not that kind of vacuum. Between the stars there aren't any bits of things, just empty space. Vacuum is another word for emptiness.
    Child-But there are comets and planets and stuff like that. Is there vacuum in between them?
    Parent-Yes there is.
    Child-But you say that space doesn't need to be cleaned, it doesn't need that kind of a vacuum. Right?
    Parent-Yes. I said that.
    Child-Then can you explain black holes?

Describe the internal combustion engine
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast