Trove

Thread: Trove

Lightbulb Trove

When I began writing my book set in Sydney in 1966 I researched the background at the National Library in Canberra. I wanted to make sure my memory was accurate. I read many of the actual newspapers the Library has checking weather, current events and TV shows for the period. I even found the classified ad for the boarding house where I lived for my first few months here in Oz.
    Now, the Library has all that information on a new online system 'Trove' (as in Treasure!). You can find newspapers, maps, books and a lot of other useful research material. So, if you want histotical accuracy goto Trove.

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Phooey. I wanted to read my Marriage announcement in the 1964 classifieds, but the latest year for newspapers was 1954, so where you obtained 1966 material is a mystery. I noted you could buy an FJ for 733 incl tax.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; May 12th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Read again Ox, he was checking his memories in 1966, not looking for info about 1966.

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    If, as you say, 1966 was the year in which he did the work of checking up, why ever would he have needed to compare his recollections with the written record? His own memory would have been as fresh as a daisy. And why also would he have waited forty-four years to tell us about it?

The book is set in 1966.

You need to eat more fish, mate.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; May 13th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.