Wrong train - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong train

I don't think it was as dramatic as saving his life Red. he was coming round a bit by the time the ambulance arrived, and I don't think he was homeless Kang, he was in jeans and a jacket but quite respectable looking. Thanks for all the kind comments every one, but I really do feel such things are their own reward. I slightly pity the people who are so afraid of life they don't take part in it, sometimes life gets so full on they don't have time to be afraid any more and they spend the rest of their lives talking about "The spirit of the blitz" or "The Dunkirk spirit" wishing for that back when all they really need is to smile and say "Hello" to people they would normally pass by.
    I love your signature by the way Eulixa, always been one of my favourite sayings.

silverwriter
    Good on you for being a true human being. This reminds me of a story I heard in the news recently. A man who stopped another man from raping a girl in New York got stabbed for his trouble. He died lying there on the pavement bleeding to death. It was all caught on camera - even people taking pictures of the man with their phone.

Who would have thought that it would be such a compliment to be called a decent human being?

Who would have thought that it would be such a compliment to be called a decent human being?
    Exactly.

I'd just be mimicking the sort of thing everyone else has said Olly. Doubtless to how modest you might be, if you ask me, you saved his life. How many other people would have walked past?

It sickens me to think I might be one of those people. You're an inspiration.

Well done, Olly. I don't live far from that area and, though I don't get out any more, I'd like to think I would have helped (actually did, in a simiar incident years ago) and - more importantly now - so would my son. I hope so.

You were a guardian angel to that gentleman (poor soul), Olly. And yes, it is a damned shame more people aren't more caring about others.

What can you do?

Virginia
    It's an ill wind... NaNoWriMo 2009 winner. (MG) WIP.
    "Don't burst the bubble, darling!" (spec-fic) WIP

Blogs: Hidden Content ; Hidden Content .

Good for you, Olly. Diffusion of responsibility is a bitch, and I'm glad someone was there who wasn't in thrall of it.
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

I remember when I was seventeen and I was walking down Union St in Aberdeen (A crowded street full of rush-hour workers toing and froeing), I came across an elderly gentleman in a smart suit, lying on the pavement, to my eyes asleep. I thought, 'that's odd'. I slowed my walk for a moment and looked around at everyone else. Everyone was glancing down but walking on. It was as if this man lying there was the most natural thing in the world. I wondered why he was lying there as I walked on, embarrassed at being seen to be 'not in the know'. I wondered why everyone was ignoring him. I felt a bit stupid at my naivety for almost stopping for that moment. I know I thought about him all day and regretted not stopping. This has influenced me in later life to sometimes, when the need arises, call the police, call the fire service, not expect others to do it or to expect others to have already done it.

I think it's more complex than selfish bastards walking past, uncaring. But well done, Olly.

Blog Entries
    When I was in my early teens the secondary phone line in my house, rang. We used that phone for the internet, very rarely to make calls, and no one had the number, so it was weird.
    I picked it up and the man said he wanted to talk to someone. I said he probably had the wrong number. He told me that he'd been trying to call help lines and they were all long waits, and he just needed someone to listen to him, he said he wasn't doing too good.

I said I was very sorry and I had to run out the door. I hope I wished him good luck, but I don't think I did.
    As soon as I hung up I wondered why I didn't just stay on the line and talk to this man. I've been plagued by the idea that he might have killed himself then and there and I could have just had a chat with him that might've made the difference.
    I'll never know, of course.

"Diffusion of responsibility" is a good term Ilasir, it reminds me of something Bertrand Russell once said about morality being in a direct inverse proportion to the number of people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    "Diffusion of responsibility" is a good term Ilasir, it reminds me of something Bertrand Russell once said about morality being in a direct inverse proportion to the number of people involved.

I didn't come up with it myself unfortunately: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusi...responsibility

And more specific to this situation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast