Lyric writing advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyric writing advice

Lyric writing advice

There don't seem to be a lot of decent resources on the web. Most of the articles are thinly-veiled ads for books about "How to Write Great Lyrics" or somesuch. A good portion of the rest are self-advertisements by aspiring musicians.
    For those of you who are writing lyrics, I offer the following links as at least decent and informative:
    Lyric or Poem?
    How to write Lyrics
    How to write Lyrics too

Thanks for taking the time to read...I hope it helps you improve your skills. And thanks for posting here.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I found lots of lyric writing advice at songwriter.net

Lyrics are best written when you already have a tune to work with that sets mood. otherwise it's tough to set tone, pace, rhythm.

Thanks! This will definitely help on the song I'm working on and hopefully more songs I write in the future.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

Lyrics, like poetry are written from the heart. If you need a book or website to tell you how to write anything you are in the wrong field. I don't mean to be harsh, just sharing what I know to be true. Instruction is destruction of what is original inside of you.

Dogma needs walkies.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

There's nothing wrong with getting advice to improve your writing, be it from workshops, books, or writing sites. They can help you get your message across more clearly.

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

[Hidden Content ] - Always appreciative of a critique.

Blog Entries
    The biggest thing about lyric writing is you have to have a good hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    There's nothing wrong with getting advice to improve your writing, be it from workshops, books, or writing sites. They can help you get your message across more clearly.
    Agreed. This goes for any branch of artistic expression that I've ever tried or even have heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    The biggest thing about lyric writing is you have to have a good hook.
    I disagree. I think it is more important to have melody. You could moan along with the music and make it work. What you need is the parts people whistle.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast