Lyric writing advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyric writing advice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Agreed. This goes for any branch of artistic expression that I've ever tried or even have heard of.

I disagree. I think it is more important to have melody. You could moan along with the music and make it work. What you need is the parts people whistle.

I disagree, "the hook brings you back..." - Blues Traveler

I don't remember any of their songs well enough to whistle them or play them on the guitar. Musta notta gotta lotta hooks.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I don't remember any of their songs well enough to whistle them or play them on the guitar. Musta notta gotta lotta hooks.
    You're crazy they had like 5 good songs. The lead sing lost like 100 pounds after they quit being popular. I think his name is something like Dennis Poppler or something close to that.

Blog Entries
    You were close Lewdog, his name is actually John Popper. He is an amazing artist, has one of the best voices ever. Still don't understand how he can sing and play that damn harmonica so well all at once. It's just one of life's great mysteries I suppose. I don't know...but he's great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enchantedsecret24 View Post
    You were close Lewdog, his name is actually John Popper. He is an amazing artist, has one of the best voices ever. Still don't understand how he can sing and play that damn harmonica so well all at once. It's just one of life's great mysteries I suppose. I don't know...but he's great.
    Thanks, I should have just looked it up, but I knew I had something close.

Heck, I knew that, and the guy can play some harp, but the point remains. The mountains win again.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    I have a collection of favorites, which I have been adding for years now. Thanks for the links you provided, I will check them out. One of my best links for an online resource is The Complete Idiotís Guide to Songwriting.

Link: http://www.theashgrove.com/Alpha.Boo...eConnector.pdf

Happy Songwriting Everyone!

Blog Entries
    true at times, otherewise the reverse happens

Last edited by moderan; February 18th, 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: this is still here too
    Hidden Content

Hi all,
    I'm currently in the process of writing and composing a musical, so I was interested in reading this thread. Some days I write lyrics and some days I compose music, it depends on what inspiration I feel. One thing that helps me is if I have a couple of lyrics written--doesn't matter if they're the opening lines, closing lines, chorus or B-section--then I ask myself, "How does this sound when it's sung?" Sometimes it helps to have a couple of lyrics to set the mood of the melody, and from there, oftentimes the notes can take over. Then, once I have the music, I know the cadence and syllables needed, and can work on the words. Hope that helps!
    Until next time,
    Bridget

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast