Musicians Central - Page 9

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicians Central

Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    That sounds fine, but it won't convert me. I've listened to lots of jazz guitar -- from Django Reinhardt to Tal Farlow to Joe Pass etc. And no cigar. So you're being rejected in the best company.

My taste in jazz is very specific too -- bebop, cool jazz, modal -- all recorded in the forties up through the early 60's. Dizzy, Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon. And 90% of the jazz I listen to is in the classic quintet configuration, trumpet, sax, piano bass drums. Add guitar and I just don't like it.

I don't like the sound of certain instruments in certain contexts. Being a jazz fan, I thought I'd check out Milt Jackson, but the vibes sounded cheesy to me.

I also despise shredding. Makes me want to shove icepicks in both ears.
    *shrugs* We've had the shredding conversation already. You have strange ears, man.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

i dont think shredding is inherently less musical or enjoyable to listen to than other guitar styles.

with shredders there is often a tendency to get too focused on the technical side of playing, i.e. playing really fast, but i have heard some truly inspiring shred guitar from people like paul gilbert, joe satriani, steve vai (although i don't generally like his music), Andy Timmons, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Ritchie Kotzen, Gary Hoey, Yngwie Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde.... there are tons of great shredders. People who shred but also inject some groove and soul into it

as for jazz guitar, i dont really like it much either, it's not a deal breaker for me though... i can still enjoy jazz if it has guitar.

what i really like is when a player can play lead and rhythm at the same time, paul gilbert has become very good at that. i like the intricate, technical playing but i get bored if it doesnt have a groove to it

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    *shrugs* We've had the shredding conversation already. You have strange ears, man.
    Yeah, that rings a bell. But I don't really see what it so strange about not liking a particular sound or style of guitar or music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
    i dont think shredding is inherently less musical or enjoyable to listen to than other guitar styles.
    Well, it's less enjoyable to me. I don't like bagpipes or kazoo either. I just don't like the sound or any of the music that employs it.

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde etc. -- heard it all -- can't get into it. It's just not to my taste.
    Last edited by JosephB; December 3rd, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Joe, I find it a little odd to like just that certain era and stylistic subset. I try like hell to be open to anything...at least as far as playing. Some stuff is unlistenable to me.
    *chuckles* nothing's unplayable, especially if I'm getting paid.
    But hey! They're your ears and you should feel free to subject them to anything you wish to.
    Gary Hoey, who Sigg listed above, is technically a shredder but he's just fabulous in general. You should hear his version of the Grinch.
    I don't care for Malmsteen, which is where the conversation was before, when Mystery chimed in and started bragging about himself and his hero. Yngvie is the epitome of the "soulless shredder".
    Hell, I'd just as soon forget most of 80s rock in general. As you say, it's just not to my taste.

edit: what about Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey and Crosstown Traffic? Both have kazoo sections that are melodic and cool.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I try like hell to be open to anything...
    I listen to music with an open mind. But once I do, I just may not like it.

They're your ears and you should feel free to subject them to anything you wish to.
    Exactly.

I don't care for Malmsteen, which is where the conversation was before, when Mystery chimed in and started bragging about himself and his hero. Yngvie is the epitome of the "soulless shredder".
    Oh yeah, now I remember all that.

..and Crosstown Traffic? Both have kazoo sections that are melodic and cool.
    That's kazoo? I thought he was just singing note-for-note along with a fuzzy guitar. Interesting.

Yep...actually a comb and paper kazoo. There's one in the early Floyd tune Corporal Clegg, says the wiki article, and I just listened to that-strangely enough, it doesn't mention the McCartney tune, though it quite clearly has plenty of kazoo, played by Paul, who also played kazoo on a couple of Ringo's tunes.
    Hidden Content

Well, it's less enjoyable to me. I don't like bagpipes or kazoo either. I just don't like the sound or any of the music that employs it.
    yeah i get what ur sayin, some songs or artists just dont click with me. it's kinda one of those "i respect the guy's abilities but i don't like his music".

i think some of the coolest guitar players are the more obscure ones, the guys who made their money doing studio gigs or being the guitar player for a band instead of being a frontman or having their own band.

paul gilbert and steve stevens are 2 that come to mind. guys like Yngwie have some neat stuff too but he is a lot like steve vai in the sense that his ego barely fits in the room and it comes across in his stage presence and playing.

oh, Andy timmons is another one of the lesser known players but he is definitely on my top 10 list of favorite players.

Elliott Randall. One of the best studio guys ever. Ry Cooder...unknown but stellar. David Lindley, one of my idols, who plays anything with strings on it and plays it well.
    I bet Joe knows about the Wrecking Crew. Chris Spedding is another really versatile player.
    I dig some relatively obscure dudes like Allan Holdsworth and Bill Nelson and Dave Stewart who are sometimes too original for the market (Vernon Reid comes to mind here too).
    I've done some sessions, and I totally appreciate what those guys bring to the table-sometimes they escape into wider notoriety (Jimmy Page, Buckethead, Skunk Baxter) or just get buried (Darryl Stuermer, Snowy White) as sidemen for more famous people.
    Hidden Content

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Wrecking Crew.

Elliott Randall's solo in Realin' in the Years is a favorite of mine -- near the top of my list, along with Martin Barre's in Aqualung -- which has a similar feel.

*clicks lighter in silent agreement*
    Hidden Content