Musicians Central - Page 2

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicians Central

Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    I couldn't resit. I've posted what I'm fairly happy with already. But I have other stuff.

Here's a song I recorded with the guy I hope will be a permanent drummer. We recorded a few songs, but for some reason I can't fathom at this point, I didn't haul my amps or effects to the guys house and instead played through a Line 6 pod right into the sound card. I thought I liked it at the time, but now I hate the guitar tone! Too bad, 'cause I like the song. And the high harmony is too loud also. Oh well.

http://76.12.0.196/oh_hannah.mp3

I did this for years! It was only when I started playing with other people that I was able to start writing whole songs and recording them.
    good stuff there mr.b, the guitar tone isn't so horrible, it kinda fits with the style of the song. i agree with you about the vocal harmonies being a little too loud, but it still sounds good.

i like the southern style guitar twang picking, nice solo by the way, very fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Moderan, nice keyboard work and melodies! I enjoyed both those tunes.

Sigg, I'm impressed. Nice playing and really nice tunes!
    Thanks, Joe. I try
    I like your track too. The guitar sound is good. Mixing levels are easy to fix.

And agreed, Sigg...impressive, especially if they're slapped together as you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
    thanks, back then i seemed to be less uptight about what was good or not. the way i recorded those songs was just record a few rhythm parts by playing them some arbitrary number of times without a metronome or anything and then play leads which were essentially improv/jamming on top. then mix stuff together to make it sound halfway presentable.

now it seems like it's holding me back, trying to add beats and all that. ive started and not finished half a dozen songs in the last few weeks.
    I get into that way of thinking periodically as well. It makes me go back to disciplined writing where I start from the beat and work my way through the rhythm bed, essentially deconstructing any tune, reducing it to its parts, and starting again.
    Another thing I'll do is take a recorded riff or chord pattern and introduce it into Band in a Box. From there I can write a whole piece, print out the composition, and work with it that way.
    I also use a usb drum kit to make my beats. Ozone Trash takes care of the drum sound.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

that usb drumkit is pretty neat. yeah i understand your more methodical approach to creating songs, probably comes from doing it for a living. ive never really had pressure to create a new song so nothing pushes me to complete them other than my own interest. but my real problem is attention span... ill be recording stuff and then just start playing around on the guitar and before i know it 30 minutes have passed and im like 'oh yeah what was i doing' and by then ive lost interest in the rigidity of recording haha...

sometimes though i persist and get tracks laid down

Well, when I was playing bass for a living, we mostly did covers...but I've always been into the songwriting aspect and just taught myself how to crank stuff out (if I had to). For a while I had just one guitar and loops, and that really made me work with the parts.
    Try something like The RPM Challenge - Home or Home | www.nasoalmo.org
    I've done both successfully. Last November I did both nasoalmo and nanowrimo.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Cool pieces guys!

Some of my music can be heard here ETSounds on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (Beware of Myspace compression... my mixes really aren't that muddy )

My website is Freelance Lyrics ... it's about song writing and production mostly, but also serves as a base of operations for my ghostwriting business and soon my consultation services.

All of the songs on my myspace have been produced, mixed, and (mostly) recorded by me. The Jamaican sounding guy is a few states away so he records his vocals and sends them to me and I mix them.

One of my instrumentals was just featured on XXLmag.com as background music to one of their videos... so I'm pretty pumped about that! Good exposure for a relatively unknown person such as myself.

Doesn't surprise me that there is some musical talent here... creativity rarely confines itself to one art.

-E.
    Last edited by L.C.Mills; November 16th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Hey LC....was wondering where you were hiding. There's some good content on your website, decent tips.
    Yes, MySpace muddies the mixes...those players aren't so good.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Hey LC....was wondering where you were hiding. There's some good content on your website, decent tips.
    Yes, MySpace muddies the mixes...those players aren't so good.

Thanks Moderan.

-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    This might be a great topic to ask.

What music do you like to listen to when you write?
    There's a thread here that has to do with it...though usually those threads are about band-name-dropping or how kool I am.

I make my own, is my answer. Ambient and electronic stuff...here is one example of each:
    Midnight Drive by the Lake-ambient
    Threnody 3-"bubbletronica"
    Hidden Content

Wow, nice tunes, guys. Comparatively I have nothing to show, except my little Halloween ditty.

Midnight at the Graveyard

There's at least two other jingles that I could post up, and may soon, neither of which are very long. However within months I should be finished my first "song" complete with lyrics and chords and epic solos, then I will descend upon this thread like a hawk--HNGNYAAAAAACAAAAACAAAACAAAAAAAA!!!!! (that's my hawk screech) In fact my song will be nowhere near that splendiferous, but damn it, it will be pretty gangster.
    Last edited by caelum; November 18th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    Wow, nice tunes, guys. Comparatively I have nothing to show, except my little Halloween ditty.

Midnight at the Graveyard

There's at least two other jingles that I could post up, and may soon, neither of which are very long. However within months I should be finished my first "song" complete with lyrics and chords and epic solos, then I will descend upon this thread like a hawk--HNGNYAAAAAACAAAAACAAAACAAAAAAAA!!!!! (that's my hawk screech) In fact my song will be nowhere near that splendiferous, but damn it, it will be pretty gangster.
    caelum... you realize that with that kind of lead in, you've just raised our expectations a lot, now the pressure is on to deliver!!

just playin, even if you think it sucks, post it up anyway, id like to hear it.

also, ive decided that this weekend im gonna finish one of the million songs i started but never finished, even if it doesnt turn out so good.... so sunday (my time) i will post a new song.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast