What's the last movie you watched? - Page 412

Page 412 of 413 FirstFirst ... 212312362402404405406407408409410411412413 LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4121

Thread: What's the last movie you watched?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    How about what is the next movie I will watch?

"The House That Jack Built". Arriving today.
    I watched that about a year ago, I think it was. Since you haven't seen it yet, I won't give my opinion of it.

The last movie I tried to watch was Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot, starring Joaquin Phoenix. About a third of the way through, I decided that I didn't care about any of the characters, so I turned it off and went to bed with a book.

Blog Entries
    Ford vs Ferrari. Not bad at all, but not what I expected from all the hype. Christian Bale just amazes me with every diverse performance he pulls off.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Ford vs Ferrari. Not bad at all, but not what I expected from all the hype. Christian Bale just amazes me with every diverse performance he pulls off.
    He is definitely one of the great actors of our time.

Starship Troopers. It was okay. The 'satire' was unbearably dissonant. Humanity is war-mongering and xenophobic, except actually the aliens attacked first, vaporizing millions of innocent people. Paul Verhoeven doesn't even try to pretend it's an exaggerated lie or something. He literally shows the protagonist's hometown being wiped off the map, parents and all. Other highlights of the 'satire' were Michael Ironsides shooting a fellow soldier for no discernible reason, then later begging protagonist Johnny Rico to shoot him, again, for no discernible reason. Most of the acting is borderline atrocious. Someone told me this movie is mocking propaganda films like Triumph of the Wills, but when the thing you are mocking has objectively better acting and direction, what's even the bloody point?

Positives? Johnny Rico actually has a really good arc. I loved how he went from joining up with the Troopers merely to impress a vapid women, to embracing a genuine sense of duty and sacrifice. Rico allegedly falls out with girlfriend Cameron Ibanez and into the arms of fellow soldier Dizzy Flores, but really, he falls in love with the Federation itself. I loved that. I loved the banter between the Troopers. I love when Rico sucker punched the bastard who stole his girlfriend, then was wrestled from the room by his squadmates to get drunk and tattooed. And the bugs look great, considering this is 1997. The sets, costumes and general camerawork are very good as well. And hey, it's SPACE MARINES fighting EVIL SPACE BUGS! That's got to count for something, right?

The ugly? Cameron Ibanez. I've never hated a love interest more. Vapid, idiotic, and ever-grinning, this waste of space has the characterization of billboard. I love good romances. I love tough girls. I love tough girls who are first and foremost, girls, and not a female body injected with male personality. Cameron Ibanez is none of these things, not even the last one. She's a barbie doll tottering through what should be a gritty war film. She's emotionless, heartless, and utterly plastic. Dina Meyer, if you are reading this, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.
    Dead by Dawn!

Just finished watching Abominable...

Blog Entries
    The Valley of Elah

All star cast in this movie about how the military turns boys into savages. I give it four out of five stars.

Blog Entries
    Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

not my normal genre but then, my roommate has patiently endure my collection of likes so I think I owe her in this regard.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    The Wolf of Wall Street. I'm sorry, but waaaay to much hype for a movie that was so over the top is was not credible. It might have been a true story, but the sensational aspects of it were clearly meant to draw you in with a kind of dramatic shock and awe. I'm a guy, but gratuitous female nudity can really get boring after awhile when it's thrown in your face and so over-done and, pussy is regarded as a miraculous prize. The acting--great--but again, over the top.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    The Lighthouse

Interesting characters, but you don't really feel any empathy for either of them, and there's no real suspense because the outcome is inevitable. You know what's going to happen and it's just a matter of time before it does. Also, the film is supposed to be about loneliness, but there's not really a sense of loneliness in the film. There's not really a sense of much of anything other than filmmaking gimmickry.

Considering the extensive dialogue and limited settings, it could have easily been and might have worked better as a play.

Still, it's worth watching.