Who might you be?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who might you be?

Who might you be?

Who might you be?
    There is a common theme that runs through various threads to the effect that people might not be what they appear to be. There are all sorts of deep philosophical thoughts we could get into about the reasons people might dissemble, or others might care. BUT I was not going there. Instead, if you are/were not who you appear to be, then who are you or who might you be?
    For example;
    I might be called Francoise, a retired, eighty year old dominatrix who actually came from France originally. For years I kept two small flats opposite one another, occupying the whole floor of a block near Crystal Palace. In one I lived, making beans on toast for tea (I have been here a long time ), smoking fags and drinking coffee with my girls in the winter-comforting fug of the gas fire.
    The flat opposite I had converted for work. In the small spare bedroom stood a teacherís desk and a small wooden dunces stool, on the wall hung canes and here I saw my naughty boys, the main bedroom I had for my big babies, an outsize cot and huge fluffy toys. My piece de resistance was the front room, which had become my dungeon, here I had restraints and hoists of every sort. Everywhere here I was in charge and taking my revenge on the brothers and sisters who ran the Abbey school where I boarded.
    Since my retirement I have felt the need to create an adult figure such as I never knew in my abused childhood, perhaps to cleanse myself a little, thus was created Olly Buckle.

Your go, I might be...
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I might be one of the painters working on the Forth bridge, as was my father before me. Each day I head off with my lunch and tools for the Firth and start work, people feel my job must always be the same, working on the same bridge day in day out. They don’t realise the variety, Some days we are in our little storm lashed work tent, short Scottish days lengthened by electric light, working on a level with the rail bed, the thunder of wind alleviated every so often by the even louder thunder of a passing train. Then again we might work over time on long, light evenings, high up on the topmost arch with the silvery northern light of hours long summer days reflecting, silver, from the Firth stretched out below, or purple and black from the scorched heather clad hills. Another day I am down on the concrete footing painting the huge girders where they descend into the earth, like the legs of some Colossus who spans the river. My lunch hour spent communing with some fisherman trying his luck with the rising salmon. People say “Your wrist must ache with brushing” but paint must come off as well as go on and there have been many hours of my life spent listening to the ting,ting ting of my small hammer and the rasp of wire brush removing the coats of yesteryear, I, clad in mask and goggles to protect me from the flying chips and poisoning by the lead they used to use, resembling some freshly landed alien. The world over men speak of me and my endless task, but rarely consider the variety. I would die suffocated in an office.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

I might be the man who checks your ticket at the gate
    I might be the enemy you especially hate
    You can not tell if old or young
    Near to home or furthest flung
    Male or female, in between?
    Something so strange you’ve never seen
    Anything like me before
    And hope to God you don’t meet more
    Hidden Content

I might be a mad dwarf, with an eternally young face, who has spent the last eighty summers working for a week as ball boy on the tennis courts of my native Wimbledon before returning to my home on the wild common. Only then do I touch the human world so I am able to turn my wages into gold to add to my hoard.
    Hidden Content

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    I might be a yellow-tressed Far-darter. Then again, given the difficulties inherent in finding a cab in Hackney after eight pip emma, and as my master had been most insistent that fishing in the Loch was to be temporarily uninstated due to the vagaries of the breeding season of the Western beets, it seems altogether likely I shall once again be reduced to the status of a polisher of name plates up and down the Strand.

‘Ave a banana!
    Last edited by The Backward OX; September 15th, 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Worse fates can wait on those who walk the Strand.

I had a sister Millie who would walk upon the Dilly
    And me Mother was another on the Strand
    Me Father flogs his a**e hole round the Elephant and Castle
    We're the finest f***ing family in the land
    As the old song would have it.

How did you know the street is called Strand so it's the Strand, not The Strand? Bet there's not a lot of people in your part of the world who wouldn't make that mistake.

Assuming that is your part of the world, maybe you were a black cab driver...
    Hidden Content

In my version, the third line ended “to the guards at Windsor Castle”.

There’s other versions too – but of course sod’s law has kicked in and I disremember them.

And to your Strand question – the internet is a wonderful invention. I was in fact simultaneously cobbling together another piece of nonsense set in old London town and needed to do some research, and there you have it. Although, on reflection, I must say I don’t think I had ever previously seen it written The Strand. Sometimes you just know these things without knowing you know them.

Cab driver yes, but I am a dinki-di Aussie and have never left these sunny shores.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; September 15th, 2008 at 03:50 AM.

Remembered them!

If you’re ever down in London and you have no place to go
    And you cannot find a spot to sit you down
    For a penny on deposit you can hire a water closet
    And a season ticket costs but half-a-crown.

and...

You can see there’s been some pushin’
    By the c*m stains on the cushion
    And the footprints on the sofa, upside down
    But since I went and shagged your Enis
    I’ve had trouble with my p*nis
    And I wish I’d never seen your f*cking town.

The tune of course is Road to the Isles.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; September 15th, 2008 at 04:07 AM.

If it weren't for rules and laws, threats of confinement and physical destruction, I might be someone else. My persona is meticulously constructed but it might not be able to handle the onslaught of the darkest side of human nature. It's ready to collapse at the slightest shift in pressure, like a toothpick skyscraper. I might be someone else, a twisted shade of my former self, if I bent to the will of my internal musings. I might be someone else who completely lacks empathy and concern, because it's just easier that way. I might be someone who takes to heart that it's easier to destroy than to create. I might be someone else who succumbs to the path of least resistance, though that path steers headlong into depravity. For now, the illusion holds. But, I might be...

I'm whatever you think I am...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast