Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

05-30-05 | Scores (1 Viewer)

I

Ilan Bouchard

strangedaze said:
You should have seen me in grade 11 math. On the final exam I did two questions, then wrote, 'sorry for wasting your time - have a good summer'. An 8% mark on a final exam would bother most, but I was too busy trying my darndest to get laid. Another failure ;)

Andrew

Quite funny you should mention that, as I took my math final today. I got more than an 8% mark, I hope...
I wrote this limerick at the end of the test, while I waited to be dismissed (not very good, but I wrote it in about ten minutes):

I sat here taking a quiz,
'Twas math, of which I'm no wiz,
Ahead of me Dan,
The math geek I can't stand,
So by "Name" on my sheet I put his.

speculative

Thanks for the reviews and running this round of LM!

Haiku didn't turn out to be long enough really for what I was aiming at, but I gave it a shot anyway. :)

1000-ft Mushroom = atomic mushroom cloud
dark concrete = fallout shelter
"seed of man" = refers to those who survived who will repopulate the earth
heat echoing through bone = radiation
topic = Morning after a nuclear war...

I think I might rework this later. The post-apocalypse is one of my favorite literary periods. ;)

bobothegoat

I understood your piece in that way exactly, Speculative, and it was one of my favorite entries. Apparently the other judges didn't enjoy as much as I did, though. I liked yours more than Ilan's, actually (no offence, Ilan ;) ), but everyone else disagreed- hence his first place postition. But don't worry. Pawn seems to be hinting that the next topic will probably be a longer format- such as fiction.

Anyway, once again I'd like to thank all who participated for doing so and not getting mad at me for grading them lowly. I'd also like to thank those who did not participate, as that made it so I had less work :D.

I

Ilan Bouchard

bobothegoat said:
I liked yours more than Ilan's, actually (no offence, Ilan ;) )
Bah! My pride shall be avenged, bobo, I assure you that!

I'd like to thank those that reviewed for their time and effort once again.

Philo

Fantastic! My heart felt thanks to Pawn, valeca, bobothegoat, daniela, Dark Aevin for all your thoughtful criticism and to all the writers who submitted.

I've only written 4 or 5 haiku (since grade school) and I learned a lot from the submissions and the reviews. I thought I was doing a good thing in leaving off the punctuation, but your collective smack to the back of my head has brought clarity in that regard.

So I'm surprised and delighted to be included in upper end of the scoring pool. Congratulations to Ilan and to the others in the winner's heap.

M

ms. vodka

oh wow... i tied for third? with lonewolf and hand? hmm bitchfight... i think not... i save those for gigi, who deserves them... besides, i think they could probably take me.

thanks to all the judges... looks like you guys did a tremendous amount of work...

(and ilan... don't get too comfortable there in first)

vodka

demonic_harmonic

hey yeah thanks to everyone. glad to see pawn didn't totally hate mine. he even gave me a 15/20, how rave is that?

ew. i just said 'how rave is that'. yeah. ew.

(It's been a long day.)

anyway, good going to everyone, especially Ilan and eggo... it was a great time, guys!

I

Ilan Bouchard

ms. vodka said:
(and ilan... don't get too comfortable there in first)
I'm not comfortable at all, this First Place Throne hurts my back. I wish I had one of your Third Place Swivel Chairs...

M

ms. vodka

ilan wrote:

this First Place Throne hurts my back

in need of a pillow, your highness... or just a swift kick in the butt? :wink:

(*don't hurt me, Ilan!*)

gordon

Superb effort from all the reviewers Pawn you got it in one it matters not.
I have to say once again tremendous amount of work and effort in the responses to all the poems
Excellent a credit to this forum
G

gordon

On second reading Aevin I think the 8 was harsh
Spelling is allways a problem if you want it to be
G

Farror

WF Veterans
I received the wooden stool of the mediocre. I sit in the corner and wear a connical hat. Wanna trade?

I

Ilan Bouchard

Well... I would, but...
run.gif

A

Aevin

gordon said:
On second reading Aevin I think the 8 was harsh
Spelling is allways a problem if you want it to be
G

Anyone who gets a low score is likely to think it's undeserved. I stand by the scores I awarded, though I don't plan to justify them at all except through PMs. If you want more information, feel free to contact me privately.

On a side note, I find it ironic that so many have said my reviews usually aren't harsh enough and give an unrealistically pleasant picture of works, yet I've apparently scored more harshly than any other person. *shrugs* I think a greater scoring range prevents having too many ties.

One more thing ... I've talked with Pawn, and we've already got a second LM theme in the works. I'm just waiting to hear back from him on when would be the best time to start it.

--Aevin