Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

05-01-06 | Scores (1 Viewer)

journyman161

Oasis writer said:
100 words is actually really hard to write a story in and actually make it interesting...
Weeeell... if you left out some actually's it may help reduce the number needed. :lol:

I think the length might depend on the topic. Some will lend themselves to short pithy stories and for some the shortness will just pith you off. :grin:

voicesinmyhead

100 words would be awesome! Of course, I may be biased because I never managed to write anything longer than 1000 or something. I can't bear extraneous words...100 would be incredibly fun to try....

*goes off and starts thinking of a 100 word story...*

eggo

Patron
For some reason I get the impression that those 100-150 words would contain a large amount of abstract words in an attempt to convey much with very little.

It might, but flash is an art form unto itself. I have seen flash pieces that convey much more meaning than pieces 10 times that length.

Of course we would pith one against the other.

You started it journyman!

Last edited:

Savia

My old school ran a 100-word short story competition and the standard of entry was generally very high. I did alright at it and can say from experience that most of what you can do with the format involves either a) a shock revelation or b) an experimental way of writing- there's not much else the limited space will allow. 'They die' was a particularly frequent ending :p

Anyhow, if it were to come up, I'd happily judge or enter or whatever, it is a style I really enjoy.

Pawn

Patron
Just wanted to congratulate all participants on a great LM. It's great to see the forum flourish.