Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

“Poet’s Choice” Winner’s Thread (1 Viewer)

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Landslide! And deservedly so. Kindly grab some virtual confetti, and some real champagne, and join us in congratulating our winner, Gumby for her outstanding entry, Marooned.

In addition to receiving this month’s Laureate, Gumby has the coveted honor of selecting our next prompt.

Way to go, Sis! You absolutely nailed a very complex topic which certainly was no walk in the park to tackle. I’m elated that so many others agreed with me and voted for your piece as I did. Hit home hard for me. Bravo!

Reminder: Next month is a “regular” month so entrants must post their entries themselves.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Thank you, both!

That was inspired by my time taking care of my mom. She suffered with dementia, which means we really lost her long before her body died. I know many of us have gone through this with elderly parents. It is heartbreaking.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Congratulations, Dear Gumby... I have always been a fan of your insightful poetry that seems to pour from your heart... the honesty in this poem is heartbreaking and I can only imagine how difficult this poem was to write...

I was my husband's caregiver until he passed away and each day I grieved over yet another part of him I had lost... I vividly remember the day he could no longer button his shirt, and I went that day and bought him some pull on shirts....anyway... "Marooned" is beautifully written, painful emotions elegantly expressed... you are a true poet... love you bunches, and thank you so much for sharing such an intimate poem...

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
A beautiful poem that comes at the horror of dementia from an unusually positive perspective. Imagining the alien world of a dementia sufferer without measuring the condition by 'normal' expectations somehow restores the dignity that is traditionally lost. An empathetic and insightful poem that has a power to shift the thinking of a reader.

Great work Gumby! You got my vote.

ladygarmadone17

My first impression reading the poem, I thought you were mad at somebody you’ve dated for years. Boy was I wrong, upon seeing your inspiration, now the poem talks differently, than my original thought process entailed.

Well done, Gumby, well done. [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk