Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

“Eye of Newt, Wing of Bat” Winner’s Thread (1 Viewer)

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Hear ye, hear ye, thirteen, how befitting, have cast their desires into the cauldron, and a single ingredient has risen to the top as cream is wont to do. Please put your brooms down and free up your claws to join us in celebrating the originator of this month’s most fancied flavor. All Hail Darkkin, for her fantastic winning entry, On the Wings of a Fox.

In addition to receiving this month’s Laureate, Darkkin will receive a free one month FoWF subscription, and has the distinct honor of selecting our next prompt.

Just wow, D., I bow before thee. Your technical prowess is beyond amazing, but that’s not all! This piece is a treasure trove full of lovingly applied devices, it simply sings. Kudos, hon, you got my vote, and certainly deserved the win. Keep doing you, D.!

ladygarmadone17

CONGRATS DARKKIN!!! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji898][emoji898][emoji322][emoji323][emoji323][emoji322][emoji898][emoji323][emoji898][emoji16]

Last edited:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
IMG_20201025_140255_191.jpg

Potato Cat is lending me his shocked face, as it is fitting. I wasn't expecting this. I've entered villanelle before and from experience, I know folks tend to be a bit wary of the classic forms, simply because they aren't comfortable with them. The fact that this piece was villanelle juxtapose doubled down on that aspect.

I expected middle of the road results that the form has elicited in the past. I just wanted to see if I could get a functional piece. Like a good dog, villanelle is faithful. People see a nice, reliable companion, they don't stop and ask, 'What breed is that?' It's the same with form poetry, you get back what you put in. Get the basics down and the variations are limited only by the imagination. Fox was a full tilt agility run. And as with any challenge it could have gone either way...Given the size and content of the work I was a little skeptical as to how it would do.

All I can say is kudos to all who voted and slogged through all twelve stanzas.

- D.

Last edited: