Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

thoughts outloud

...

People have this misconception about freedom. It doesn't mean doing or saying anything you want. That's just wrong. You can't go around raping and killing at random, just like you can't yell 'Fire!' in a movie theatre.

That would just be chaos, like we have now.

True freedom has to do with equality. Like the French: liberte, egalite. Freedom means everyone gets to be free from the tyranny and oppression, forever. Not some silly, selfish notions of each person saying or doing whatever they feel.

We need to teach that.

Toward the greater future.

Comments

People have this misconception about freedom. It doesn't mean doing or saying anything you want. That's just wrong. You can't go around raping and killing at random, just like you can't yell 'Fire!' in a movie theatre.

People also have the misconception that "too much" individual freedom means Anarchy. Individuals are responsible for their actions.
We just don't need a plethora of laws regarding buggary, spitting on the sidewalk, and what you are allowed to think.

That would just be chaos, like we have now.

Total agreement there. However, it appears that we diverge on the causes and best remedy.

Like the French: liberte, egalite

I'm not sure ya wanna use the French Government right now as your standard bearer for what a functional democracy looks like.

Toward the greater future.

Who gets to decide what that is? You? Me? Or 51% of the sheeple that have been conditioned by years of institutional indoctrination? To oppress the other 49%?
It starts with demonizing "The One Percent". Then, it's everyone who makes over "x" per year. Freedom means calling them out BEFORE they show up with torches and pitchforks on your doorstep.
If you like the French, re-read de Tocqueville. At least if you want this "thought outloud" confirmed.
 

Blog entry information

Author
Kevin
Views
29
Comments
4
Last update

More entries in Creative Writing 101

Top