First, I've come to learn something about myself. As I age, if I get the notion, an idea to do something- and someone tells me not to do it- I’m still doing it. Of course, we're talking about things that don't cause harm and aren't illegal.
In the mix of writing, I took up a project someone told me was a waste of time.
I'm going to spare y'all the putrid spewing that we all know people spit out when they're against something,. We all know those words and phrases all too well. I'll skip to the good part.
I decided it was time to reorganize my writing files. It needed to be done for my stories, my characters, progress, and for my sanity. Until I started on this quest, it was very easy to get lost in that flash drive.
I started with program types, separating the files based on the programs used.
The small numbers I was able to knock out, like the PDFs- those were the easiest ones. Then I dove into the Word files.
This is where I've been digging the last month or so. And I've succeeded. I have isolated the academic files, the RPG ones, and the novel files.
I'm almost done with the academic files, splitting them between WITC, LRWG, and content from other schools. I still need to finish with the LRWG files.
I’m also almost done with the RPG files- separating them by main story, like 'Stargate meets BSG". There are a few files that need to be organized in this folder.
And the novel files- this is the big one. There are over 80,000 files in this category alone. So, I work at it as I can. These include files for The Zodiac Chronicles, The Centurion Series, The Long Ridge (the anthology), and 12 other projects. So, breathe easy, it's not like all those files are for one book.
There are 2 things that have helped with this project: a writer's planner that I received from Long Ridge Writers Group and a flash drive for each project.
Being able to separate the files, isolating them to drives (not just folders) based on what project they're with has been a tremendous help.