I was told:
Don't do it.
You'll be wasting your time.
Scrap it all and start over.
You need to be working on 'forward-writing'.
Like I said in the other post: as I age, if I get the notion, an idea to do something- and someone tells me not to do it- I’m still doing it. And it's done.
For the last year, my focus has been on, not so much sorting my writing drive as it was eliminating the clone files. Today, I have completed this project. The files are still a bit disorganized but that's okay. The primary aspects of this project were achieved. The clones (that is the files that were 100% duplicates) are gone and everything has been sorted by their main subjects: Academics, Novels, RPG / Fan-Fic, you get the idea.
To give you an idea of how serious the chaos was I had over 2.25 gigs of files when I started. The novels alone had over 80,000 files. Today, I am down to 642 megs for everything. The novels are down to 5,233 files.
Of course, I didn't work on this all day every day. I do have other things going on. I worked on this as I could, when I could.
The bulk of the progress was achieved between Sept to Oct after a friend introduced me to Auslogic's Duplicate File Finder program. This meant that I no longer needed to work on this manually, by sight. This was the time consumer. Instead, the program did it for me. It found all of those files that were 100% duplicates. YAY!!
I am a happy writer.