Writing Forums - Comments - Blogs


Blog Comments

  1. Firemajic's Avatar
    It is one of the most exhausting things, to be a care giver... I did that for my husband for over 10 years and until his death... there are good days and tuff days... but I would not allow anyone else to take care of him...I think it is the ultimate act of love...

    Hang in there and rest when you can... *hugs*....
  2. midnightpoet's Avatar
    error above blood sugar was 58.
  3. bdcharles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    I may be idiosyncratic, buit every time I read through the text, I imagine I am a reader, seeing it for the first time because most readers will be.

    On the first edit, it is worthwhile pointing out where the story is not in sequential order. Many writers want to use flashbacks or even flashforwards; but it helps if the writer and editor can agree a way through these issues so they are both on an agreed wavelength.

    A lot of the editorial work I do is for writers whose original manuscript was in a different language, so we often resort to metaphor when the precise translation sounds awkward or does not express the image.

    The most important thing for me is to clear my head of prior versions of the text and read it afresh.
    When short of time, I try all sorts of ways to acquire fresh perspective: ranging from closing one eye, not using my glasses, or having a couple of glasses of wine beforehand, to doing something totally random just before I get started, like crawling under my desk and lying there for a minute, thinking about my MS (or the point in it I am reviewing).

    Honestly, I would gladly stop doing it in a heartbeat - if only it didn't work.
  4. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Very thoughtful comments from the both of you. It is so very hard for me to see my words as a reader and I know this must be done. I will occasionally slip into that distant-sight mode and actually catch just about everything. Most often not. I think editors have that natural born or developed sense to spot something, however minuscule and out of place, very rapidly and without difficulty. I can't tell you how many times I've gone over the same manuscript with multiple passes only to continually find more errors.

    The foreword in my newest released book had 13 blatant errors in it that both I and the editor missed. I had to do a fast triage on it, and then get it replaced with the printed version on Amazon. Neither I or my editor were aware that it went to print in such a fashion. Blessed be the editors.

    BTW, after 30 years in trade publishing, I have just now learned to let the damn manuscript sit for a good length of time before diving back into it. This has Always been my biggest mistake. I'm practicing restraint and patience now.
  5. Pulse's Avatar
    I may be idiosyncratic, buit every time I read through the text, I imagine I am a reader, seeing it for the first time because most readers will be.

    On the first edit, it is worthwhile pointing out where the story is not in sequential order. Many writers want to use flashbacks or even flashforwards; but it helps if the writer and editor can agree a way through these issues so they are both on an agreed wavelength.

    A lot of the editorial work I do is for writers whose original manuscript was in a different language, so we often resort to metaphor when the precise translation sounds awkward or does not express the image.

    The most important thing for me is to clear my head of prior versions of the text and read it afresh.
  6. bdcharles's Avatar
    For me, when I edit other peoples' novels I primarily try and get a feel for the voice they want to have, the way they imagine the book to sound. Sometimes I will let a grammar slip stay, if by including it the text would acquire a bit too much repetition or some other flow weirdness in that area. And I do approach it from a readers' perspective too, absolutely. I do find that writers have certain crutches they lean on, whether it is a word or a writing type. For eg., the guy I am currently working with tends to rely on loads and loads of unassigned dialogue, so I have to piece together who's saying what, and also give it a bit more externality, less talking-headsiness. But generally the people I edit for are happy; they seem to accept the changes and like them, and if they push back, which isn't really all that often, I usually let them keep the bits they want if the agitate enough. It is definitely a group effort.
  7. Neetu's Avatar
    Mother's Day???Oh wow, it is early in the UK! Glad you got your mum the card.
  8. Neetu's Avatar
    Isn't isolation just great???? Very brave of the first responders.
  9. MzSnowleopard's Avatar
    Left the folks home ( Mom got weird, reneged on the agreement ) So, now I'm living with a long time friend in the Tampa area.
  10. PiP's Avatar
    Hi Florida, welcome back! You can use alcohol to make hand-sanitizer. https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...er#ingredients
  11. Smith's Avatar
    I will say that while the young-and-healthy have nothing to worry about, that going to work at this time could get them sick, and therefore somebody that they live with could get sick who DOES have to be worried.

    At the same time, there are lot of people right now who are out of a job, and they might live paycheck to paycheck, or at best have enough to survive for a month. Obviously I hope that they can reach out and get some sort of assistance; I have watched people in my town band together and go shopping for the elderly or those in quarantine, for example. But in terms of raw financial support, in many cases I think there's not much that can be done because so many people are in the same boat. And if they're not in the boat now, they're about to be.

    So while I'm not saying that I think Starbucks actually has my best interest in mind by doing everything they can to stay open, the result is that *for now* I don't have to worry about how I'm going to eat, not get evicted, or afford gas. Likewise for my roommate who works at a donut-and-coffee shop.

    The economic repercussions looming in the near future, and already being felt in some small ways, is pretty worrisome. But I've had enough paranoia, fear, and panic for one year.
  12. Neetu's Avatar
    Thanks, Irwin. I’ve been fortunate that I have called America home for over 2 decades and not been directly targeted in the way I was this time. But I’ve seen it happen to others and known undercurrents of it. And there are such people, highly educated even, right here in the forum, but I do what you say— stay away from them.
    it hurts to be treated this way and I’m sorry you have been brushed by it.
  13. Irwin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neetu
    Irwin, as a non-white, I have a particularly sensitive lens to the mentality you have referenced, and while I have seldom encountered it openly, I did so very recently. It violated everything in me; it angered me, humiliated me and shook me up in a way I hadn’t thought was possible. And I told only one friend of mine about my experience, a white male friend, who more or less laughed it off because I had been bold enough to retort back to the white woman who attacked me, but I realized it could t feel to him how it felt to me.
    I'm sorry that happened to you, Neetu. Some people seem to need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves. They're miserable, bitter, hate-filled, xenophobic losers who never accomplished anything in life other than maybe serving in the military where they were given the right to kill exotic people. Imagine how happy the murderers must have been to live out their dreams and fantasies! And it made them feel like true "patriots" even though they're nothing like our Founding Fathers. They have more in common with the Loyalists from the Revolutionary War period. Our country was founded on progressive principles and by immigrants who rebelled against the Dark Ages--not by a backward conservatives.

    It hurts when you're put down for something over which you have no control, such as your heritage or race. I'm not Christian, and some say I'm not white, and when I see my people targeted, I wish that there was something I could do to help. But, alas, I live in the liberal, gay governor, Bernie supporting state of Colorado, where it's perfectly legal to smoke a joint in public! Even here, there are hate groups. Less than 30 years ago, this was a redneck "cowtown," and the rednecks haven't moved; they've just aged.

    The best way to deal with backward people is to avoid them when possible and to rely on your friends. They're the people who are important in this world and make life worth living. And the wankers (to use a British term) have their value, too. They give us stuff to write about.
  14. dither's Avatar
    Sorry to read of your experience Neetu. When I go out I'm like a church-mouse scurrying about the periphery, skirting the edges of my very existence, and I hurry back to my home base asap. I avoid contact with people. When I HAVE to interact I'm courtesy and politeness personified, and, ironically in trying to go un-noticed, courtesy and politeness seems to get noticed, often making me feel quite un-comfortable.

    As for changes, the world's one total screw-up, ain't gonna happen.
  15. Neetu's Avatar
    Dither, lenses come in varying forms, strength/power and degrees. We will always see the world through our own, the influences that have shaped them, and by extension, us.
    Irwin, as a non-white, I have a particularly sensitive lens to the mentality you have referenced, and while I have seldom encountered it openly, I did so very recently. It violated everything in me; it angered me, humiliated me and shook me up in a way I hadn’t thought was possible. And I told only one friend of mine about my experience, a white male friend, who more or less laughed it off because I had been bold enough to retort back to the white woman who attacked me, but I realized it could t feel to him how it felt to me.
    Later, actually a couple of days ago, I was able to tell two of my closest white female friends, and their response was instantly protective of me and intensely critical of the woman who had tried to degrade me. It all comes down to a view of the world and how sensitive we are to others.
    Ignorance is the root of such evil, and sadly,I don’t see change coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by dither
    Neetu
  16. Neetu's Avatar
    The Mensch! Human unlike others? Or a human among others? Funny, I associate Mensch with a curse my German boss used to utter every now and again. Usually when he was irked by his assistant who never seemed to get his instructions right. Though Mensch can refer to an perfectly honorable person!
  17. Neetu's Avatar
    Well, it was a halfway house, dither. Halfway between the two railway stations, halfway because it gave you a resting place, halfway perhaps, also because it was along the path of growing up and it comes back to you now because it represented some kind of midway point at the time.
  18. dither's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neetu
    Hey dither, can I, or may I try your lens????
    Neetu
  19. Neetu's Avatar
    Hey dither, can I, or may I try your lens????

    Quote Originally Posted by dither
    Damn! Neetu, you got me wondering about MY.....lens, and maybe I'M ...... hyper.
  20. dither's Avatar
    Damn! Neetu, you got me wondering about MY.....lens, and maybe I'M ...... hyper.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.