PDA

View Full Version : play to script

kellykat60409
April 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM
I am reading the Greek plays from Sophocles and i was wondering if there is a certain way that you have to convert a play to a movie script, this is the first time i am attempting this and any help would be great. thank you in advance and have a nice day

mammamaia
April 3rd, 2006, 01:46 AM
the only 'certain way' is to use the correct screenplay format... if you have final draft or any decent formatting program, it's relatively easy...

but what's not easy, is making a 'movie' out of what was a theater piece in ancient greece... even the translated language will be so archaic few today will appreciate it in movie form... and you'll need to adjust the action accordingly, as well, since in the movie version, you most likely will not want it all to take place on a stage...

the good news is that a stage play is much easier to adapt to film than a novel... sounds like an interesting exercise... i'll be happy to help you with it, if you need any assistance along the way, as i'm a great lover of all things greek and especially the founders of the theater arts... you may not be aware of this, but my name is actually an ancient greek word/name...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

kellykat60409
April 3rd, 2006, 01:51 AM
thank you for your help. i was never interested in the Greek plays until my humanities teacher went over them, but briefly so i went out and bought them and i am glad that i did. also that final draft is that a free one or do you have to pay for it.

mammamaia
April 3rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
no, it's actually one of the most costly... but worth every penny, if you intend to write scripts of any kind... i think you could even 'import' a play script and then have fd convert it to screenplay format...

you can download an ms word script option and there are some free formats and cheaper ones out there... not all are good ones, though... fyi, fd offers a student discount...

kellykat60409
April 3rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
i downloaded the demo going to mess around with it but it is pricey almost three hundred dollars. might have to put that on my Christmas wish list since i am in school and work part time my money non existent

i did find a free program that i am going to check out. and if it doesn't work than no lose since i didn't pay for it i think it is called cinergy 5 script editor

mammamaia
April 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
you can qualify for a student discount on fd... otherwise, 'santa' is your best bet... i haven't heard about cinergy, but if you want to know which of the freebies are best, ask over at www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com) ... go to the 'shop talk writers' board and post a question [best format freebie?]... you'll get first-hand info from aspiring screenwriters who've used the various products...

kellykat60409
April 4th, 2006, 05:59 AM
i am going to try that thank you very much

hellodolly
May 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ has it for $149.00

mammamaia
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
If Sarah can have a baby at 90, I can sell a screenplay.

yeah, but that was back in biblical times, when they hadn't invented movies yet! ;-)