PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Lost and Scared

Bobochanti
February 19th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Hi, I'm mainly a novilist, short story type of writer. Before, I write sentences and such just keep on ringing in my head until I go onto the page. But there are those images and such in day dreaming. So I sort of wanted to dabble in script writing but I get lost sometimes. Wondering if I'm getting too detailed or maybe I shouldn't talk about angles.

I need help (there I said it). Can someone help me?

RoseStemThorns_AraNorren
February 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
(Pssst.. Might want to correct "novilist" it is, "novelist". * Quietly walks off*)

Keep a notebook by your side at all times, so you can remember your ideas, or if your like me you can just live by your computer and type your keyboard into despair. Short story writers who want to write plays should just try moving their short stories through dialogue. It's very interesting when done well, not here and there, but almost entirely done by dialogue.

I do not know much on how to format plays so I will not discuss that.

mammamaia
February 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
screenwriting isn't really for dabblers, bobo, as it takes too great and too long a commitment to just become competent at it, much less marketable... but if you have a passion to write for film, go ahead and throw yourself into it, body and soul...

do NOT include any camera angles, however, unless you intend to produce and direct the films yourself... that's the director's province and new writers writing spec scripts should avoid trying to direct and edit the movie... just write the script and leave all that to the folks who are paid to do it...

if you want any help learning how to write screenplays, feel free to email me any time, as many of my mentees are aspiring screenwriters... at the least, i can send you a format guide and info/tips from the pros on the basics...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

Tom_ZC
February 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
You said script writing without specifying whether you intend to write screenplays or stage plays. You've already gotten some good advice on screen writing. Here's my take on play writing.

1. Get Louis E. Catron's book, "Writing, Producing, and Selling Your Play" and then read and live by it. I've read through it so many times, each time, hilighting, underlining, writing in margin notes, etc. I practically ate that book. I was able to make the transition from fiction writing to play writing thanks to that book and my perseverance. I've had three of my plays done as full productions, as well as some others that had staged readings.
Additional books that are helpful are Catron's other book, "The Elements of Playwriting," and Buzz McLaughlin's book, "The Playwright's Process."

2. Be a cast or crew member of a play that is performed. Even if you've never done that before, you could do so at a community theater. If you have some acting abilities, audition. If not, community theaters are almost always hungry for stage managers, lighting crew, and others to do the work that would be too much for a director.

In other words, become stage play literate. Stage plays are very different from both fiction and screen plays. Read up in the books I mentioned so that you know the difference. One of the most common mistakes made by new playwrights is to write one like a screen play with way too many scene changes to be practical.