PDA

View Full Version : Short Film Idea

sapphire27
July 8th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Well folks, I randomly had a short horror film idea last week. When I say random, I mean random, because I'm really not a fan of horror movies in general. But alas, I had this idea for a short film, about 10-15 minutes long, with no dialogue, just a few brief bits of monologue. Below I'm posting a brief rough summary of it. Bear in mind that this really is a fresh idea, and there is not yet a title, or anything of the sort. Just the basic idea.

What are your initial thoughts? :idea: :?:

Rough Summary:

A woman walks out of her house in the morning and an ambulance with its sirens on speeds by. She thinks nothing of it, but as she drives to her job on the outskirts of the major city in which she lives, there are more and more ambulances with their sirens on speeding by. They seem to lessen as she gets further away from the downtown area, but by the time she arrives at her building, one drives by her buildings entrance. Are they catching up?

She doesnt really notice the ambulances during her drive all that much, as she is preoccupied by her favorite early morning talk show. At one point she notices the unusual number of ambulances and wonders if theres been some sort of major catastrophe, but dismisses the notion given that theres been no coverage of such a happening on the radio. She tries to call her sister, but is unable to reach her. She leaves a message. A few minutes later she gets a hang-up call.

She arrives at her favorite coffee shop before getting on the freeway, only to discover its closed. She finds this very surprising, but when she looks inside and sees a mess and signs of struggle, she figures there must have been some sort of break in the night before. Disappointed, she figures shell just have to have some instant coffee when she gets to work.

She arrives to work, only to discover that there are a lot of people out. A few people are working quietly in their cubicles. She sits down at her cubicle with her cup of instant coffee, and switches her little battery-operated radio on to hear the end of her favorite show. She turns on her computer and checks her email.

Shes in the midst of reading a funny email when all of suddenly the lights go out, and a loud siren sounds from outside. The emergency lights come on. She stands up in fright, looking for the few co-workers that were in that morning, but they are gone. The sirens get louder, they sound like theyre in the building now. She decides she must try to get out of the building, so she grabs her bag and heads for the nearest exit, leaving the radio on.

She exits into a long, sterile-looking hallway. As shes about to break into a run, she sees a group of what look like paramedics with a stretcher, running towards her at an alarmingly fast speed. She screams and tries to turn around to go out as she came in, but the doors have locked behind her. As they get close she realizes they are zombie-type creatures. When they reach her, they strap her up to the stretcher and take her away to a hospital where they have taken all their captures. Zombies are taking over this city via the hospitals and emergency response system.

The last shot of the movie is of the womans radio, still playing on her desk. One minute we hear the radio hosts voice, and the next thing you know its been cut off by static.

Eiji Tunsinagi
July 23rd, 2005, 02:32 AM
Huh. "Smart zombies." Interesting twist on what most zombie material out there usually is. I imagine it would cost a bit to be a short film with all the ambulances and all....but write it anyway - you're not the one paying for it.

Kelhanion
July 24th, 2005, 11:58 PM
It might work if written well. In your idea the horror is revealed at the very end leaving the audience ver little time to chew on it. That's why you should focus really hard on the beginning and the middle sections. You must put in some scenes with very creepy feel on them to build up the tension. Put in some subtle hints that the audience is able to connect to the zombies at the end.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how well you handle the horror at the end, in a short film it's essential to build up the mood from the very beginning. The biggest danger is that 90% of the film is the kind of "everything's quite ok I guess" -stuff that longer films start with. Then if the action in the end is quick and over fast, the audience might feel like it's over before it started.

Summa summarum: Yes, it's a pretty good idea :) I'd suggest the same as starrwriter, try to think alternatives to zombies. Army of zombies taking down the rest of the population has been a popular theme - everything on that subject has to be excellent to stand out. But do the same with doppelgangers or cannibals and you have something different.

salvothasock
August 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
innarestin, my thing with it though:
the setup was awesome, i had the question that wanted to be answered, why are all these ambulances going around the city?
when the lights went out, that was cool...
but i thought it was too fixated on the sirens for the climatic end...
i would have brought in something from left field, so to say.
to be put more simply:
sirens? (she sees and hears 'em)
sirens? (they're coming closer)
sirens?? (they come and get her)
im starting to get into zombie stuff myself as of right now... so keep thinkin about film!