PDA

View Full Version : 3000miles-My first script.

mikeabnooy
February 27th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Okay. So i did my best to follow the guidelines on http://www.oscars.org/nicholl/format_a.txt

I thought of this today and 10 hours later (7 of those being actual hours working on this) voila! It's not *bang bang* wow, but it's what i can do for cheap. It's a short script and is only meant to be no longer than 4-5 mins on film. rip it apart you critics. At the VERY bottom of my post i'll write a little about what the script is suppoed to be about if you're really interested and you dont' get it. here it is:

3000miles

a 5 minute short

by Samuel Kim

FADE IN:
Black screen with text, There are truths in the lies we speak and lies in the truth we seek.

DISSOLVE:
Black screen with title, 3000miles

INT. SAMS ROOM NIGHT

A tear droplet falls onto Sams hand.

INT. ELEVATOR NIGHT

SAM pushes the 3 and steps back whistling and staring at the ceiling. Sam grips his bag close and pulls it closer to him.

INT. HALLWAY NIGHT

Sam gets out of the elevator and walk to his suite room door. Gets out keys and put it into keyhole. Sam takes a couple deep breaths suggesting anxiety and then turns the key.

INT. SAMS ROOM NIGHT

Sams door slowly opens and you see Sam sitting almost in the darkness, typing on his laptop at the other side of the room.
SAM (V.O.)
Dear mom and dad. Your son
has safely landed at his new
home and school. I just wanted
to let you know Im safe. Im
going to go to bed soon. Love
you. Sam.

Sam presses send on his computer and closes the lid. He jumps into his bed next to his desk. He reaches over to his lamp and turns the light off.

INT. SAMS ROOM NOON

With the light seeping into his room, Sam keeps his finger moving across his keyboard as he stairs outside the window.

SAM (V.O.)
Hey sista soul sista, let me
hear you flow sista?! Hehe.
I swear, out of the blue, that
picture of us as kids, standing
on the dock came into my mind.

DISSOLVE INTO PHOTO OF SAM AND ESTHER ON DOCK

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Damn we were cute.

DISSOLVE INTO PHOTO EK STANDING IN SNOW

SAM (V.O.) (continuing)
Thanks for seeing me out to NY
a couple of months ago. Im
glad I had someone to come all
this way with me.

CUT BACK TO SAM TYPING ON HIS COMPUTER IN HIS ROOM

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Please just let mom and dad know
that their youngest son with be
fine out here by himself. Take
care sista.

FADE OUT:

INT. STUDY ROOM DAY

Sam is holding a keychain that has a picture of him and his niece on it. Sam is standing up next to a table that has his books on it. Almost as if he is looking for something, Sam stares out the window with a glazed expression.

CUT:
With the key chain lying on the table by him, he types another email

SAM (V.O.)
Sup bro? hows the family? I miss you all a lot. Being out here by myself is a real adventure. Not easy, but I love the challenge of trying to make it on my own, with our parents money of course. How are my cutest niece and nephew? Gosh they grow up quick.

A 3 year old of version appears on the screen. With her big chubby cheeks she is blowing bubbles in the backyard of Sams house.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
I swear it was only last month I was teaching her how to blow bubbles. I look at the drawing she made of the family and I just laugh.

The family picture that Danielle drew before Sam left for New York pans the screen slowly from let to right. The figures are all stick and the males all have big ears.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Her and Tyler are the best. Theyre so funny together. Tyler must be so tall now! What a personality that kid has.

A picture of Tyler acting like Batman fades in and dissolves into a photo of Danielle and Tyler sitting and laughing.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Great memories. Its a lot
better being out here than
being at home. This has been
my smartest choice for the
last 22 years.

INT. HALLWAY NIGHT

Sam is at the door to his suite. It is going to be Sams first time going into his new suite. He turns the key and pushes the door open.

INT. MAIL ROOM DAY

Sam is staring at his mailbox. He reaches in to pull out a letter. He looks at the front and smiles as he notices that its from his cousin, his best friend.

Sam walks from the mailbox to the end of the room and opens another door.

INT. APPALACHIAN LOUNGE DAY

Sam finds a seat near the window over looking his school. He takes off his backpack and reaches for his laptop. He puts the open letter next to the laptop and starts typing away.

SAM (V.O.)
CUZN! I got your letter today! I laughed so hard. But I never felt so sad reading a letter before to. I felt so sad when I realized how far we really are from each other. No more fun swim days or nights playing video games with your mom.
(giggling)
Remember how your mom would always call me sucky because I lost to her in Dr. Mario?

The screen dissolves to a picture of Sam and Pearl standing next to each other cheesing. The photo dissolves into another picture of Sam and Pearl at the edge of a swimming pool cheesing at the camera. A picture of Sam and Pearls mom playing video games dissolves on top.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Such good times pearl. I can always tell you the truth right? So, Ive written to the family telling them Im doing well but its all such a lie. I guess what I really need is time to adjust to everything but its not very simple you know?

INT. APPALACHIAN LOUNGE DAY

Concentrating, Sam types away on his laptop.
SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
I tell everyone what they want to hear-- that Im doing well and that I like it a lot here. Its not all untrue, just most of it.

INT. INSIDE HALLWAY NIGHT

Coming through the door Sam drags his bags behind him looking around for the sight of somebody.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Just the first day of meeting these guys was hard. Maybe hard is the wrong word.

INT. COMMON ROOM NIGHT

SUITEMATES and their FRIENDS are sitting around talking loudly about football. Some are playing video games while others sit in the back on the couch. They notice the sound of the door closing in the distance. As Sam enters the scene they all look towards him.

SAM
(nervously
but with con-
fidence)
Hi everyone.

SUITEMATE 1
Youre the new guy. Hey hows it going? Im

Suitemate 1 reaches out his hand for a shake. Sam obliges and smirks as he shakes. He looks around the room and gives a couple waves as the rest slowly say their names and wave back.
SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Awkward is more like it. I wish it could have been warm and fuzzy like the movies but its anything but that. I wonder how long its going to take to get used to this change. It really has been a party in here every four of the 7 days.

The Suitemates are in the common room. They pick up their cans of beer and give cheers. They yell out as they raise their cans. The scene changes to a still shot of them smiling and giving cheers. The shot dissolves into the suitemates with girls laughing and talking. There are empty bottles of Jack Daniels and 50+ beer cans/cups scattered across the table. Everyone is laughing and having a good time. Sam sits in the corner of the room with his bottle of water and stands up to leave.

Sam (V.O)
(continuing)
There is a lot of drinking, actually you might appreciate that.
(giggling
with a be-
musing smile)
And there is a lot of smoking. Yes, the wacky tabackie stuff. And then there are always drunk girls hanging around. Its the norm in here. God really had a sense of humor by putting me in this room. Maybe the fact that Im 4 years older than everyone and that Ive been there and done that just makes it so less appealing to me.

Sam finishes standing and enters the door that goes to his room.

INT. SAMS ROOM NIGHT

Sam walks over to his desk, picks up a book about film-making and jumps on top of his bed. Opening up to the page where he left off, he begins reading.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Damn it cousin! Ill admit it to you, I miss it all. I miss home. I miss Tyler, Danielle, you. I miss how the sun sets on the ocean. I miss it all.

FADE OUT:

INT. SAMS ROOM NIGHT

A tear droplet slowly falls onto Sams hand. He takes the picture in his hand and places it on the top right of his desk, almost out of sight. Sam is leaning closer to the screen than usual. His eyes are smaller today and he looks sleepy.

SAM (V.O.)
Dear mom and dad. Time has gone by so fast. I can hardly believe that its been two months. Rest assured, Im eating a lot and studying hard.

INT. OUTSIDE HUNTER HALL DAY

The door opens out and Takes a step. He looks to his left and then to his right. The steam rises from lips. He reaches inside his coat and pulls out his beanie and puts it on.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
I knew this school wasnt going to be easy, but I didnt know itd be this hard either.

INT. SOCIOLOGY CLASS DAY

Sam is leaning over his table and notes on a yellow legal pad paper. Occasionally he glances up to see what the professor is writing down and then begins to write again.

INT. LIBRARY STUDY AREA NIGHT

With his books out and his laptop open, Sam is sitting in his chair with his book open. He lights a passage he finds important and then writes down something on his notepad

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
It feels like I live in the library because Im in here so much. A lot of the times I dont leave here until 2 a.m.

Sam glances back at the clock on his laptop. He sees that it says 1:55 a.m. and begins to pack his bags.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
I know you tell me not to worry, but Im always thinking of the financial burden Im putting mom and dad under. Studying out of state is costing you two a lot so Im trying my best to get good grades as repayment.

INT. SAMS ROOM NIGHT

With the desk lap shining down on this laptop and Sam still leaning in, his face is barely visible as he types.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
I hope mom and dad are well.
I know you are praying for me all the time and thinking of me. I miss you both a lot. I miss the good food mom cooks. I miss my own bed. I miss the comfort of home.

As Sam slowly stops typing reaches around to wipe under his eyes. He takes a few deep breathes. He puts his hands back on the keyboard and begins to type his last few words.

SAM (V.O.)
(continuing)
Loving you from 3000 miles away, your son, Samuel Kim

Sam slowly leans back and reaches for his mouse. He clicks on the send button and watches his message disappear. Sam reaches to the top right of his desk and takes the picture of him and his parents.

FADE OUT:

THE END

AHHHH! okay. in word the format is good but when i cooppied and pasted it turned out not so hot. :shock:

so the story is obviously about me. There is some truth to the story but for the most part it's not so real. I'm actually loving it her and i'm not homesick at all. Like i said though, there is truth in the lies we speak, and lies in the truth we seak.

So yes. it's not going to win an oscar but i need a story telling video for my video portfolio. I hope someone out there enjoyed.

mammamaia
February 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
this could be a very nice short, mike... it needs a lot of work on format, style, spelling and such, though... and it seems pretty long for 4-5 minutes... how many formatted pages did it come out to?

there's too much to deal with here in a post, so if you want some one-on-one help fixing this up, just drop me a line...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]