PDA

View Full Version : Comedy Books

False Dawn
April 19th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I was wondering if there was any comedy books which were a must to read. I have already made my way through the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, and have read a great deal of Tom Holt's work (very funny writing), but I'm not sure what other funny fictional books are out there. Are there any that you can suggest?

Spudley
April 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but if you haven't read them, go out immediately, and buy yourself a copy of everything by Douglas Adams. Start with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and it's siblings, and then move on to the Dirk Gently books. If you're after comedy novels, you won't go far wrong with Adams.

False Dawn
April 19th, 2003, 10:23 PM
How could I have forgotten to mention him? A great hero of mine, the saviour of sci-fi comedy, and I completely forgot to mention him!!!

40 lashings for me!

I have read all the books in the HHGTTG except Salmon of Doubt which I can't seem to find anywhere :(

Is there anyone else you could suggest?

free_mind_7
May 17th, 2003, 06:02 AM
if u like poetry at all then i would say that "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "Light in the Attic" are good books by Silverstein. he has another one out similar to the above mentioned but i cant recall the name.

mattquarterstein
June 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
If you're after comedy novels, you won't go far wrong with Adams.

That's right, you can't go wrong with Adams.

The BBC just did a Flash Animation version of an unreleased Doctor Who script of his on their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shada

Oh, but that's not really reading, is it?

Bartleby
June 24th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I have to agree with Free Mind 7, Shel Silverstein makes for some really funny reading no matter what your age. In fiction I would reccomend Robert Asprin's Myth series as well as the Phule's Company series. Spider Robinson has an excellent series called Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, which is a laugh riot. Full of puns is that one. The first book is call Time Travellers Strictly Cash I believe.

nightshade
June 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
if u like poetry at all then i would say that "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "Light in the Attic" are good books by Silverstein. he has another one out similar to the above mentioned but i cant recall the name.

the other poetry book is called 'falling up'. shel actually has written many books, not all of them meant for kids. i love his work because there's a poem called 'helping' with my name in it: jennifer joy. i always thought that was really kewl. :D