PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on an Idea

Abster99
December 5th, 2020, 03:31 AM
I'm currently writing a horror young adult novel (I've actually been on it for 3 years now) and there's something in the plot I can't seem to get past. It's about these two young sisters visiting their aunt in Massachusetts for the summer and during a hike in the woods one day, the girls come across a very old cemetery where a malevolent spirit takes hold of the youngest. The spirit was murdered in the 1600s and wants to get her vengeance on those responsible for her death by possessing the little girl and killing the descendants. I guess what my problem is, is I don't know how to bring in the descendants into the story without them being unnecessary characters. In my book, the girls are in a summer program and I was thinking of including a few of the people from that event, but I don't know. Because otherwise, the sisters don't really know anybody in that small Massachusetts town except their aunt. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bloggsworth
December 7th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Suffering a temporary bout of dyslexia, I misread the heading as "Stuck in Idaho" and was about to sympathise, then the fog cleared...

Another person in the programme: "We usually stay with our grandparents over the summer, they live about 10 miles from here, my mom is doing our family history, it's where our family came from hundreds of years ago..."

I assume that you are on t'other side of the pond, 1600 is Mayflower generation.

indianroads
December 7th, 2020, 07:08 PM
Suffering a temporary bout of dyslexia, I misread the heading as "Stuck in Idaho" and was about to sympathise, then the fog cleared...

Another person in the programme: "We usually stay with our grandparents over the summer, they live about 10 miles from here, my mom is doing our family history, it's where our family came from hundreds of years ago..."

I assume that you are on t'other side of the pond, 1600 is Mayflower generation.

Over many generations that could be A LOT of people. Also, last names alone might not be enough to trace people.

Bloggsworth
December 7th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Depends on how the US handles birth certificates; in Scotland both parents and grandparents are named, which is very useful. Perhaps the family originated in Scotland... A conciet, but it is fiction after all.

Elenxes_II
December 14th, 2020, 08:45 AM
I'm currently writing a horror young adult novel (I've actually been on it for 3 years now) and there's something in the plot I can't seem to get past. It's about these two young sisters visiting their aunt in Massachusetts for the summer and during a hike in the woods one day, the girls come across a very old cemetery where a malevolent spirit takes hold of the youngest. The spirit was murdered in the 1600s and wants to get her vengeance on those responsible for her death by possessing the little girl and killing the descendants. I guess what my problem is, is I don't know how to bring in the descendants into the story without them being unnecessary characters. In my book, the girls are in a summer program and I was thinking of including a few of the people from that event, but I don't know. Because otherwise, the sisters don't really know anybody in that small Massachusetts town except their aunt. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps the descendant is another character they know? At the risk of being cliche, perhaps the descendant is a neighbor boy who both of the sisters like?

Elenxes_II
December 14th, 2020, 08:48 AM
Maybe the descendant is, at the risk of being cliche, a boy both of the sisters have their eye on? Just a simple crush that the spirit uses to keep a hold on her host?

Llyralen
December 17th, 2020, 04:15 PM
I think this is a very interesting idea. I think it might be even more interesting if you develop the characters of those who get killed. I’m kind of struck by the idea that you’re doing this in Massachusetts. I would think people would probably love it if you used one of the people killed as witches in the area in the 1600’s.

I’m an American who knows every line of her own ancestry back before the 1600’s. I do think this might be unusual. I’m Mormon and my mother is a genealogist. Many Mormons know many lines of their geneology and stories about their ancestors to go with it. These girls don’t have to be Mormon... in fact something closer to what happened in Massachusetts in the 1600’s like the Quakers might be even cooler, but maybe their mother needs to be a genealogist? And/or maybe some kind of get-together for remaining Quakers brought them all together? I can’t remember when the Shakers came about. I would think elements like that would just make it more interesting. Isn’t it more interesting if you know the people who are going to get murdered? Even a bit? So that you get scared for them? What POV are you writing in? The older sister’s POV? Yeah some kind of reunion of the decedents of the Salem witches or some family reunion of descendent of those who landed at Plymouth Rock or something might do it. I think it’s also really interesting if the soul possessing the girl is someone well known like one of the better known Salem witches. Actually all those killed as witches were pretty fascinating... and they could definitely want revenge on the descendent a of those who murdered them.