PDA

View Full Version : Covid novels

Escribo
November 30th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Anyone here writing a novel set in Coronavirus times? I think there's a lot that could be interestingly said.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm writing a story about a solo mountain hike. It would be interesting to include a chapter about future Coronavirus restrictions as a background to what the hiker was trying to get a break from. But I'm worried that that could be a bit of a distraction to the main story, as if I'm really writing two stories in one, and I leave the reader thinking "Actually I was more interested in the Coronavirus story, I wish he would have gone on with that". So what do you think? Could I just write a chapter about the Coronavirus situation, and make it clear that the story isn't about that by saying that there's no prospect of any change in regard to it, so I then move on with the main story?

Thanks.

bdcharles
November 30th, 2020, 02:59 PM
I'm not writing such a novel but I am sure it could be done. Go for it:)

Escribo
November 30th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Yes I'm surprised I haven't heard of any novels coming out about life under Covid. Maybe there are feelings that (a) everyone is already living it and doesn't want to hear more about it and (b) the novel would feel too similar to 1984 so wouldn't seem very original.

Escribo
November 30th, 2020, 05:36 PM
I think I want to write the main story and leave a few questions unresolved in that. Then write a prequel regarding Covid in which they are explained. But the prequel only appears after the main story. I don't like the idea that I might be mixing two stories together.

Bloggsworth
December 1st, 2020, 01:16 PM
It would have to be good to knock "Love In The Time Of Cholera" off the top of the tree...

Terra
December 1st, 2020, 01:40 PM
Pretty sure there will be plenty of written material, including fiction, relating to COVID, but since there are SO many different perspectives on it, I'd suggest being careful how you reference it.

Escribo
December 1st, 2020, 01:57 PM
I'd suggest being careful how you reference it.

What do you mean by that? Make sure to stick to one perspective?

Terra
December 1st, 2020, 02:53 PM
What do you mean by that? Make sure to stick to one perspective?

I mean that everyone on this planet has an opinion or perspective about COVID, from one extreme to the other, and everything in-between. Of course we are all entitled to our perspective on anything, but we also need to be aware that not everyone will share it and to be prepared for potential backlash. I've been witness to opinions about COVID becoming aggressive to the point of physical harm. Not saying your words will take it to that extent, but awareness is key in how we reference what we as a collective are experiencing, mainly because it's such a hot topic right now. In 20 years, who knows what we will have gleaned from the virus.

Olly Buckle
December 1st, 2020, 07:44 PM
I think it may be a bit soon to expect to see a decent corona virus novel, it hasn't been world wide for a full year yet, and plenty of people take that long to write a full novel. Also we are still fairly ignorant about it in some respects, things like 'long covid' are only starting to turn up and we know almost nothing about re-infection and what effect vaccines will have, someone could put a lot of effort into writing it and be out of date in six months.

A chapter about future restrictions sounds risky for just those reasons, if someone develops a good vaccine there might be no future restrictions, on the other hand ... I would play safe and avoid it if I were you.

Theglasshouse
December 1st, 2020, 08:32 PM
This is an extremely good subject for a screenplay. It has in fact appeared in a movie which's name I do not know. It can probably be googled. But in one movie I heard it called it the noravirus. People can always call it the ghost virus, and it will sell well if the writing is done well imo if everything else works.

That movie took place during a world war where history is full of conflict. At first, I thought it was the influenza virus in the Spanish Civil War. As I saw more episodes they called it the noravirus. Forget the stigmata associated with the name. It can be fictionalized. The series worked for me. Some children in a scene appeared injected with one vaccine and one did not survive. It is full of emotion and not melodrama imo. Now if there is no copycat concepts I would think it has to be about something else besides the virus to succeed.

Escribo
December 2nd, 2020, 12:36 PM
This is an extremely good subject for a screenplay. It has in fact appeared in a movie which's name I do not know. It can probably be googled. But in one movie I heard it called almost as if calling attention the noravirus. People can always call it the ghost virus, and it will sell well if the writing is done well imo if everything else works.

That movie took place during a world war where history is full of conflict. At first, I thought it was the influenza virus in the Spanish Civil War. As I saw more episodes they called it the noravirus. Forget the stigmata associated with the brand name. It can be fictionalized. The series worked for me. Some children in a scene appeared one vaccine and one did not survive. It is full of emotion and not melodrama imo. Now if there is no copycat concepts I would think it has to be about something else besides the virus to succeed.

Yes, that's what I think, call the virus something other than Covid. People will understand the parallels. It looks hopeful that Covid will be dealt with within a year by the vaccines. But there will still be concerns about a repeat of it so it should remain a topic of interest.

My story is not simply about life under a virus. It's more that the virus is a background to it.

Theglasshouse
December 2nd, 2020, 03:01 PM
It's actually a series and is well worth watching.

Theglasshouse
December 5th, 2020, 01:00 AM
I finally know the name of the TV series. Just so you know it is called "The Barrier." It's the one I mentioned that has the noravirus. If you subscribe to netflix. It is well worth seeing.

indianroads
December 5th, 2020, 03:50 AM
I finally know the name of the TV series. Just so you know it is called "The Barrier." It's the one I mentioned that has the noravirus. If you subscribe to netflix. It is well worth seeing.
I just watched an episode of The Barrier... well done show, tough to watch because it’s too close to our future reality.

Taylor
December 31st, 2020, 10:52 AM
I mean that everyone on this planet has an opinion or perspective about COVID, from one extreme to the other, and everything in-between. Of course we are all entitled to our perspective on anything, but we also need to be aware that not everyone will share it and to be prepared for potential backlash. I've been witness to opinions about COVID becoming aggressive to the point of physical harm. Not saying your words will take it to that extent, but awareness is key in how we reference what we as a collective are experiencing, mainly because it's such a hot topic right now. In 20 years, who knows what we will have gleaned from the virus.

This is a good point. Covid restrictions have become political. You'd have to be careful not to have your characters express an opinion on Covid restrictions. But if they were just trying to get away from them, I think it could be effective.

Olly Buckle
December 31st, 2020, 02:32 PM
It would have to be good to knock "Love In The Time Of Cholera" off the top of the tree...

Or Albert Camus' "The Plague". I was staying late one night when I worked in Hematology to pass on a result. The Dr in charge came in and saw I was reading that and we discussed it a little, "Could it happen nowadays?" I asked. "I think we have control of the bacterial diseases" he replied "But some of my colleagues in virology have sleepless nights." Not long after that HIV turned up, now this. How right he was.

PS, it is also a good illustration why quarantine restrictions don't work, another lesson that appears not to have been learnt.

MistWolf
January 3rd, 2021, 11:20 AM
If I were to write something Covid, it would involve Deep State conspiracies, International Financeers and China's Plan To Take Over The World.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, but if they called them "Sad Meals", kids wouldn't buy them!"

indianroads
January 4th, 2021, 01:43 AM
My wife often says that the earth is trying to rid itself of an infestation... which is us.

Omits
February 3rd, 2021, 10:01 PM
If a pandemic scenario is not a main theme just make it a 'pinch of salt' in the story. A bit of flavour. I have a Sci-Fi in near future novel in the making and there it is sort of necessary to add that in as a mention (part of the world's woes in that time). I just invented a silly acronym for the disease running around.