PDA

View Full Version : Angel or prophet of destruction

indianroads
November 19th, 2020, 12:50 AM
A question for those that study the bible. This is for my next book.

Is there a prophet or an angel that destroyed a city? I was thinking of Sodom and Gomorrah - but from what I read the angels were unnamed. I was considering Jeremiah because he had an intolerance for false prophets.

My story isn't religious at all - the main character is actually an assassin, but I need the name to refer to an incident where someone refused to pay for services he already rendered. I was going to call it the Jeremiah Incident.

ehbowen
November 19th, 2020, 01:06 AM

Is there a prophet or an angel that destroyed a city? I was thinking of Sodom and Gomorrah - but from what I read the angels were unnamed. I was considering Jeremiah because he had an intolerance for false prophets.

My story isn't religious at all - the main character is actually an assassin, but I need the name to refer to an incident where someone refused to pay for services he already rendered. I was going to call it the Jeremiah Incident.

Only two holy angels in all of the canonical Bible are named...Michael and Gabriel. The Apocrypha and Roman church tradition add a few more names, but Protestants such as myself question the reliability of those passages.

"Not paying", though, makes me think of the legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Possibly a take on that tale..."When the piper is not paid..."

indianroads
November 19th, 2020, 01:10 AM
Only two holy angels in all of the canonical Bible are named...Michael and Gabriel. The Apocrypha and Roman church tradition add a few more names, but Protestants such as myself question the reliability of those passages.

"Not paying", though, makes me think of the legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Possibly a take on that tale..."When the piper is not paid..."

That's a good idea! Thanks!

I sometimes fall in love with a phrase that doesn't make sense - the Jeremiah incident, was one of them. I may look at city sieges and military generals.

CyberWar
November 19th, 2020, 03:21 AM
Muslims and Jews believe in Azrael, the angel of death and destruction, which is not expressly named in the Bible. It would be a fitting nickname for an assassin character, considering how there's a RL Abu Azrael (lit. Servant of Azrael), a famous anti-ISIS fighter in contemporary Iraq.

As for the angels who warned Lot of the impending destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, to my knowledge there's no special names for them.

ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord
November 19th, 2020, 07:31 AM
I was just about to mention the Angel of Death. In the Bible, this character is not named (just referred to as "the angel of the LORD," or "an angel"), but there's an incident (2 Kings 19, 2 Chronicles 32, Isaiah 37) where he strikes half the Assyrian army dead in one night.

No instances of Biblical prophets destroying cities, but many instances of them prophesying destruction that was to come. Isaiah 13-23 is a list of judgments against various nations and cities, Ezekiel makes a little clay model of Jerusalem and throws his hair around the city to warn everyone of the coming siege (no, really), in Joel there's the locust swarm, etc. You could pick almost any Biblical prophet and find at least one instance of prophesying destruction. If I were to pick one who's best known for it, I might say Joel, since the concept of 'the day of the LORD' (ultimate wrath to come) is a big one in that little book. Jeremiah definitely railed against false prophets, but he might be best known for his sorrow on behalf of Israel -- he's known as 'the weeping prophet.'

If what you're looking at is characters that are actual instruments of judgement, there's the Levites in Exodus 32.

Phil Istine
November 19th, 2020, 09:12 AM
I don't study the Bible, but it was imposed on me as a child so some of it has stuck.
Several things popping into my head:

Ransom - Ransom is a valid, though less usual, surname in the UK, and maybe the name could be used as a play on an issue regarding ransom sacrifice (perhaps it's not been fully paid?)

Jericho's trumpeter - a reference to the trumpet being blown and most of Jericho's walls falling - maybe Trump for short (no, I jest). Maybe a made-up name like Jerichoam?

Elenxes_II
December 14th, 2020, 08:40 AM

I believe the angel in question is dubbed Zeruel by some literature. Zeruel means ‘Arm of God’, and refers to one of the warrior angels.