PDA

View Full Version : names for a secret police force in the USA

indianroads
October 16th, 2020, 12:12 AM
I'm feeling around the edges of my next novel - dystopian future USA, a new take on Orwell's 1984. Obviously - oppressive tyrannical government, everyone tracked via an embedded chip, no privacy, all news filtered by the government, travel restricted, strict social classes. Labor camps fashioned from the gulags of Russia - MMC escaped labor camp as a child (parents died while helping him escape). MMC (adult) is violent and vengeful, and works as an assassin for the resistance (NGP (Not Government Property)).

FMC is MMC's sister, but neither knows of the other. After her escape (as a baby) she was raised by compliant citizens, and as an adult works for the secret police. She wants everyone to be safe, so she thinks she's doing the right thing by helping the government oppress people.

I'm looking for a name for a secret police force, similar to Stalin's NKVD or Hitler's Stasi... but the name needs to be in english, and I'd like it to sound benign (Peace and Compliance? Secure and Safe?) - and ideally have the initials be something that can be pronounced as a word (like Stasi).

Ideas?

bdcharles
October 16th, 2020, 10:15 AM
This sounds pretty interesting. Umm ... to your question, I dunno, to that popped into my mind are Comp4 (Compliance Force) or LEOD (Law Enforcement and Order Department) if you wanna be extra topical:). I guess just pick a benignly threatening name and make an acronym around it. Good luck :)

Darren White
October 16th, 2020, 11:14 AM
(Sidenote: Stasi was post-Hitler, founded in the 50s)

ehbowen
October 16th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Stealing from Cameron's True Lies: The "Omega Sector?"

indianroads
October 16th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Thanks!

ive dropped the brother/sister thing as it’s an overused trope. As for the name of security force, I’m reconsidering using the existing names CIA & FBI just because they’re familiar, but will make both a much darker purpose ... however the names I’ve asked for here I may use as the public vernacular.

Both characters are dark, but their arcs will move them toward the center.

ehbowen
October 16th, 2020, 04:39 PM
Thanks!

ive dropped the brother/sister thing as it’s an overused trope. As for the name of security force, I’m reconsidering using the existing names CIA & FBI just because they’re familiar, but will make both a much darker purpose ... however the names I’ve asked for here I may use as the public vernacular.

Both characters are dark, but their arcs will move them toward the center.

If you're going to reuse CIA/FBI, how about a minor change which intimates the shift to the dark side? Such as "Federal Bureau of Monitoring" and, "Central Monitoring Agency?"

luckyscars
October 16th, 2020, 05:57 PM
American fascism tends to come wrapped in patriotism, buzzwords and some historical references: The PATRIOT act, etc.

Some reference back to history? "The Minutemen", for instance. I know that has already been recycled for modern militias but that sort of thing. "Liberty's Sons", "Freedom Force", etc. "Blue Flag Brigade" references both the Confederacy (the bonnie blue flag) and also the 'thin blue line'.

Joker
October 16th, 2020, 06:05 PM
(Sidenote: Stasi was post-Hitler, founded in the 50s)

And the NKVD was Comrade Lenin's brainchild, not Uncle Joe's ;)

Anyways, it really depends on the politics of the regime. Is it extreme left? Extreme right? Centrist?

indianroads
October 16th, 2020, 07:33 PM
Good input from all - thanks so much! This work is still in the early planning stages, but it has legs and will turn into a novel.

More ideas:
CSL - Citizens Safety League (monitors everything - including speech contrary to government propaganda, functions as the police). Sends people to forced labor (death) camps.
FDL - Federal Defense League (internal military strike force - like a corrupted version of the national guard, fights factions opposed to the government). Runs the forced labor (death camps).

I only have about 2 pages of notes (very light for me), so as I said - I'm very early in the process.

The characters should be fun to write because they're both bad people:

MMC lacks emotion, and loves violence. He's a paid assassin - but specializes in killing people in ways that make a statement that causes fear. The book will open with him murdering a public official by pouring a corrosive down his throat and staging the scene such that if frames another official. He's only about violence and is driven by a deep seeded rage. Hates any form of authority.

FMC values security, but hurts everyone in her path. Sleeps with bosses and coworkers to get ahead, cheats on her husband and even beyond that she treats him poorly. Sabotages her coworkers, arrests people she doesn't like (destroying their lives). Classic narcissist.

Again - thanks for the input!

Sir-KP
October 19th, 2020, 01:35 AM
SAFE

Secret American Force of Elites

:dread:

Phil Istine
October 19th, 2020, 06:58 AM
I'm looking for a name for a secret police force, similar to Stalin's NKVD or Hitler's Stasi... but the name needs to be in english, and I'd like it to sound benign (Peace and Compliance? Secure and Safe?) - and ideally have the initials be something that can be pronounced as a word (like Stasi).

Ideas?

I was going to suggest Homeland Security, but someone beat me to it.
A good acronym usually works well in such instances as the name is more memorable. It's usually easier to think of an appropriate word and fit the sequence of words to that. Another way might be to use a woman's name as women aren't so easily associated with national tyranny as men.

My entry is LYNDA: Love Your Nation. Defend America;
it makes the organisation sound innocuous.

Olly Buckle
October 19th, 2020, 06:46 PM
Attempts to cover up their involvement with South American death squads and the cocaine trade could easily morph the CIA into just the group you are looking for.

MistWolf
October 21st, 2020, 09:36 PM
Security Service. By authority of the Executive Branch, they represent (and only take orders from and answer to) the president in implementing and enforcing law. Also derisively known as "The President's Men". They have arrest and enforcement powers anywhere in the US and territories. They have authority to make pre-emptive strikes against threats to the US and its leaders where deemed necessary.

State & local police, fire & EMT departments have been federalized and re-organized to fall under command & control of the SS, much like the National Guard are under the DoD. The federalized portions of police, fire & EMT are now called Community Safety Services and divided into Enforcement, Rescue and Critical Care specialties. The three specialties work hand & glove with each other. Community Safety Services work with state and local officials through a liaison office. Within their area of operation, Community Safety officers have powers of arrest & enforcement and under "red flag" laws, authority to detain anyone exhibiting signs of being dangerous to themselves or others.

Community Safety Officers can be called up by Security Service Command and used to reinforce SS agents in response to a developing crisis.