PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a name for a smuggler

undead_av
July 11th, 2020, 06:57 AM
I'm writing a story in a fantasy setting involving a famed smuggler, and I need a name for the smuggler, who is going to be the MC. It would be more of nickname/moniker that he goes by (his actual name is Hyaki). In my former attempt to write this story, his surname was Stormsbane, but he wasn't a smuggler then, and I don't think that it works for a smuggler. I want something kind of like Stormsbane, like two words put together that sound smugglery, but I can't think of one, and all my sister can come up with is Goldfish, which is terrible. Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be two words put together--just some kind of moniker that makes him seem cool (probably cooler than he actually is).
I don't know if a character description would help, but in case it does: he is a carefree, jovial kind of guy, a bit reckless, likes adventure, and isn't really cut out for criminality--he's more about the adventure. In looks he has dark brown skin and a mix of long locs and braids and one dimple on his right cheek. Anyway, help! I can't brainstorm.

luckyscars
July 11th, 2020, 07:14 AM
How about an animal that is known for camouflage/deception?

Seadragon
Nightjar
Magpie
Dragonfly
Ibex
Cuckoo

Joker
July 11th, 2020, 12:36 PM
How about an animal that is known for camouflage/deception?

Seadragon
Nightjar
Magpie
Dragonfly
Ibex
Cuckoo

I'm going to second Cuckoo. Especially if the guy has a screw loose, which smugglers tend to have.

K.S. Crooks
July 11th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Perhaps look at the methods he uses to obtain and smuggle goods (land or sea or air) types of vehicles and equipment used. Does your character steal and smuggle or is he only a transporter (name already taken)? Using an animal as part of the name is always popular.

Lovecrafter
July 11th, 2020, 08:49 PM
I'm writing a story in a fantasy setting involving a famed smuggler, and I need a name for the smuggler, who is going to be the MC. It would be more of nickname/moniker that he goes by (his actual name is Hyaki). In my former attempt to write this story, his surname was Stormsbane, but he wasn't a smuggler then, and I don't think that it works for a smuggler. I want something kind of like Stormsbane, like two words put together that sound smugglery, but I can't think of one, and all my sister can come up with is Goldfish, which is terrible. Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be two words put together--just some kind of moniker that makes him seem cool (probably cooler than he actually is).
I don't know if a character description would help, but in case it does: he is a carefree, jovial kind of guy, a bit reckless, likes adventure, and isn't really cut out for criminality--he's more about the adventure. In looks he has dark brown skin and a mix of long locs and braids and one dimple on his right cheek. Anyway, help! I can't brainstorm.

If we’re going with words mashed with animals I could come up with a few:

Clearmoth
Lowfly
Tencrow
Smalltrout
Longfish

If you wanna use nicknames:
Friendly (cause I think Friendly Stormsbane sounds equally amicable and threatening. And cool.)
Sixpence
Gullet

I’d brainstorm more, but errands are calling. Hope this helps!

Sir-KP
July 12th, 2020, 01:09 AM
he is a carefree, jovial kind of guy, a bit reckless, likes adventure, and isn't really cut out for criminality--he's more about the adventure. In looks he has dark brown skin and a mix of long locs and braids and one dimple on his right cheek. Anyway, help! I can't brainstorm.

- Jolly Pelican
- Hauling Seagull
- Sea Bear

If your fantasy is serious, they would be different names.

undead_av
July 12th, 2020, 01:15 AM
Perhaps look at the methods he uses to obtain and smuggle goods (land or sea or air) types of vehicles and equipment used. Does your character steal and smuggle or is he only a transporter (name already taken)? Using an animal as part of the name is always popular.
This is a good idea - I think he steals and snuggles. I was kind of avoiding animal names because so many that sound good have been overused :/

undead_av
July 12th, 2020, 01:16 AM
- Jolly Pelican
- Hauling Seagull
- Sea Bear

If your fantasy is serious, they would be different names.
It's more on the serious side, I would say

qwertyman
July 12th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Budgie.

as inside Speedoes

Joker
July 12th, 2020, 10:06 AM
It's more on the serious side, I would say

Then you should see some of the nicknames that street gang and organized crime members come up with IRL. Totally ridiculous!

Phil Istine
July 12th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Freelocks: It tricks the subconscious into thinking of forelocks or frolics. It shows him to be a free spirit, though locked into a particular way of life. Free can also indicate tax-free as well, the goal of smuggling.

Taylor
July 12th, 2020, 06:46 PM
I always loved the name Gordon Gekko from the movie Wall Street. What about Hyaki Hyde?

Tettsuo
July 12th, 2020, 09:08 PM
Hands
Shiv
Snook
Socks
Plume
Pockets

Twisted Head
July 14th, 2020, 02:00 AM
I agree. Gordon Gekko is one of the BEST names for a villainous character.

~TH

Twisted Head
July 14th, 2020, 02:03 AM
Buckler, as in swashbuckler.

swashbuckling

adj.
Adventurous (https://www.wordnik.com/words/Adventurous), exciting (https://www.wordnik.com/words/exciting).

n.
flamboyantly reckless and boastful behavior

adj.
flamboyantly adventurous

MistWolf
October 21st, 2020, 10:39 PM
Slippery Jack

Olly Buckle
October 21st, 2020, 11:33 PM
Buckler, as in swashbuckler.

swashbuckling

adj.
Adventurous (https://www.wordnik.com/words/Adventurous), exciting (https://www.wordnik.com/words/exciting).

n.
flamboyantly reckless and boastful behavior

adj.
flamboyantly adventurous

Or simply 'Buckle', as in Olly :)

Seriously I would go for an everyday sort of name for his real name and then a nickname, so like Johnny Walker Known as whiskey Jack. or Johnny Johnson known as Jay Jay.