PDA

View Full Version : How do you define change in a story?

Theglasshouse
May 13th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Is it the character losing something already that is considered to be lost in the opening of the story that causes the change? Thus we feel the character is in trouble.

For example, a person loses their health, and loses their job. They could want many things. For example, maybe they had a passion they have to give up. As for the other parts of the story it can be ignored for this discussion. He wants not to lose his house.

What would a good internal conflict look like? He's afraid of losing his dreams and other people's dreams. He is divorced, and his family's son wants to paint art for a living, just an example. (fear supposedly is good for writing a story from scratch).

Hamlet loses his sanity and his father. But is really sane. He sees a ghost, that prompts him on a journey to revenge for instance.

When we lose something in many cases I have assumed rightly or wrongly that it becomes part of the goal. What does the character want after losing something? Or does the goal happen after the event? When a character decides to do something.

So in my example maybe the father makes the son's dream at studying something expensive and wants him to have a job. Artistic expression is discouraged. He can't be sentimental about things.
Goal is usually defined with these words:
A character wants something badly but has a hard time getting it.

RHPeat
May 13th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Theglasshouse

Any story including novels change at the climax to the story. They literally change the character, plot and motive to show how the new idea/ concept comes into the poem. In poetry it specifically has different names like "the turn, or turning point"; in the sonnet it's called the: "Volta" Inside the sonnet it even has a specific place to fall within the 14 lines. That's how rigid the form is, and it differs between the Petrarchan and the Shakespearean sonnets also.

If you want a definition look up the word Climax/ literary. Climax has many definitions. Look for the one under "literary." It will give you all the details for novels and short-stories. Under "climax/literary look for poetry. Specific to poetry. Basically it is the ascent of the poem before reaching closure/ the ending. Without it, the poem may never close. The ending might dangle or drop-off.

So in the poem the climax is the "turning" of the form/content as a unit and the context in the language used in the poem. Generally a new thought enters the poem derived from the opening that is connected to the new thought in some way. Closure actually connects the turning and the opening into a single concept by eliminating any conflict between the two different thoughts. That is the final outcome of the poem as a new understanding or emotional feeling that uplifts the reader in some way.

The climax (from the Greek word κλῖμαξ, meaning "staircase" and "ladder") or turning point of a narrative work is its point of highest tension and drama, or it is the time when the action starts during which the solution is given. The climax of a story is a literaryelement.

In literature, the turning point or climax is the point of highest tension in a narrative; it's the most exciting and revealing part of a story. It leads the rising action into the falling action before a story is resolved and reaches the conclusion. That is the dramatic change in literature.

a poet friend
RH Peat.

Theglasshouse
May 14th, 2020, 02:32 AM
Well I am watching some videos to see where some people get inspiration for stories. One writer buys postcards and collects them if you will to imagine the emotion and "dream" about it. This can be draining on time. Each is 2 hours long. For those interested google robert olen butler on youtube.

I understand what you are saying however and I've seen many writers and authors talk about change in books. But some authors say desire creates change if that makes sense. In a post card he collected. He had the desire of a character. I critiqued a story a few moments ago. It had the same sort of desire or message. But anyways that is a way he sees constructing stories. A character's plot is a desire that is thrawted. (this was paraphrased from a writer's beginnings by Paula Munier which is what robert olen butler says).

Thanks for replying and you are correct in the climax there is a change.