PDA

View Full Version : Ekphrastic Challenge invitation

Darren White
November 12th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Using images to inspire the written word is a popular, time-honoured tradition so we set you a challenge.

Poets and flash fiction writers, you have until Saturday 21st December to write and submit your poem or story.

There will be two winners, one for the best poem and the other for the best flash fiction piece. Both winning entries will be published on Flashes.

For the first Flashes Ekphrastic challenge, artist Sherise McKinney-Coapman @sherisemart (https://www.instagram.com/sherisemart/) on Instagram has given permission to use her painting:

https://www.flashesofbrilliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Velo-2.jpg

Our judges will decide which entries go forward to be published on Flashes.
Enter your poem or story via SUBMISSIONS (https://www.flashesofbrilliance.org/wf-home/submissions/#.XchNoGP7S70), and make sure you state clearly that your submission is for the Ekphrastic Challenge.

This challenge is open to members and non-members alike.

Happy writing!

velo
November 19th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Is there a word limit?

Darren White
November 19th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Since it's Flash Fiction, I'd say 1000 words max. For poetry we do not have such a limit.

Phil Istine
November 19th, 2019, 10:02 PM
I find it's a difficult image to know where to start. Maybe I need to put away my literal head and put on the literary one.

velo
November 19th, 2019, 11:10 PM
Since it's Flash Fiction, I'd say 1000 words max. For poetry we do not have such a limit.

So it's a double standard. Got it.

Phil Istine
November 22nd, 2019, 06:16 PM
So it's a double standard. Got it.

I think most would struggle to write a 1,000-word poem anyway. When I've seen a limit imposed on a competition poem (not on here) it's usually been the number of lines. I haven't entered a challenge for a while but I might give this one a go. I like that the image is open to so many interpretations.

Darren White
November 23rd, 2019, 11:21 AM
I agree with Phil. It's usually so that there is a word limit for stories but not for poems. It is even the case, that often only one story can be submitted to a magazine, and three poems

Phil Istine
November 23rd, 2019, 04:38 PM
I agree with Phil. It's usually so that there is a word limit for stories but not for poems. It is even the case, that often only one story can be submitted to a magazine, and three poems

Whatever you submit, please don't do it with that font :) Yes, it's readable, but that's probably the only good thing I can say about it.
<removes other specs>

Darren White
November 23rd, 2019, 04:42 PM
Whatever you submit, please don't do it with that font :) Yes, it's readable, but that's probably the only good thing I can say about it.
<removes other specs>
LOL, sorry, I hadn't noticed, I am doing this all from my bed, and that is sometimes not the best spot to write

BornForBurning
January 18th, 2020, 05:35 AM
Not trying to be pushy, I know the editors are busy. But is there a rough timeframe for when the results are going to be released?

Tim
January 18th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. The competition closed for entries almost a month ago. Maybe they are swamped by submissions?

I would love to read them all. :thumbl:

Darren White
January 18th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Hahaha, you'll just have to wait until we have made a final decision ;)
Won't be long now, but I don't do time frames.

Phil Istine
January 20th, 2020, 06:00 PM
Hahaha, you'll just have to wait until we have made a final decision ;)
Won't be long now, but I don't do time frames.

Actually, "Time Frame" might make a good prompt - so many possibilities :)