November 8th, 2019, 06:58 PM
It is strange. I have a lot of these "bowl-trees"
in my woods. They are neat looking.

RHPeat
November 9th, 2019, 07:10 AM
It is strange. I have a lot of these "bowl-trees"
in my woods. They are neat looking.

Cindy

fantastic photos. You definitely caught the autumn flavor in the lens. I have some oaks that have bowls at the base of them. I think it is from cutting the tree close to the ground and then the tree grows back. When they catch water they are great for tree frogs. Do you have tree frogs? I've found there eggs in the bowls covered with leaves when I was a young lad, knee high to grasshopper and couldn't swim as well as tadpoles.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Gumby
November 9th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Thank you all for the likes and comments!

Ron, my property was logged about 30 years ago, so that would make sense. Yes, we have tree frogs, I've not looked for frog spawn but I bet it is there. I love my woods! Always something interesting to see and I feel the stress melt away when I spend time with my trees.

RHPeat
November 9th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Thank you all for the likes and comments!

Ron, my property was logged about 30 years ago, so that would make sense. Yes, we have tree frogs, I've not looked for frog spawn but I bet it is there. I love my woods! Always something interesting to see and I feel the stress melt away when I spend time with my trees.

Cindy

I only have an acer and a third, but I love my oak trees. Brush out the woods now and then to have open space between the trees to walk. I also keeps the poison oak down as well. Otherwise the vines strangle the trees. Trees also bring the birds. I like them as well. In the summer the tree frogs sound massive crickets. They croak all night long. I had a friend visit and he said, you have a lot of crickets. I said those are not crickets they're tree frogs. He was surprised. I said that's the mating call. It goes on for about 2 months at the end of spring and beginning of summer.

a poet friend
RH Peat.

jamie65672
November 9th, 2019, 06:54 PM
I take these pictures were taken in the fall?

Gumby
November 9th, 2019, 08:12 PM
I take these pictures were taken in the fall?

Hi Jamie! Yes the leaves were taken last week but the 'bowl tree' pic was taken in the summer.

Gumby
November 9th, 2019, 08:36 PM
A few shots of my oaks.

Pulse
November 9th, 2019, 09:11 PM
The woods have necks and 'have been known . . . to speak'. (Macbeth III.iv.129)
You've got to beleave it.

Greg William
December 25th, 2019, 03:53 AM
The photos of the red leaves look cool. That tree in the first post looks like a dead animal carcass.