PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first editor ?

katieemma11
November 5th, 2019, 12:08 AM
Hello, all! I am finally at a point in revising my first book where I am ready to get an editor. Well, I have about a week or two more of revising before it's ready for that, but I've seen that editors can be booked up and it's best to start looking for one before you're fully ready incase you have to wait. Honestly, I am so lost. I was wondering if anyone had any good websites or recommendations for an affordable editor? I am so confused and thus afraid of getting ripped off or getting a low quality editor. There are so many websites etc. that "look" good, so I was wondering which ones you use so I can find a trust-worthy site. Thank you :) p.s. Also, I am a recent (unemployed lol) graduate so I'm hoping to find an editor that is somewhat affordable as I'll have to get a small loan to pay for it.

bdcharles
November 5th, 2019, 12:38 AM
I’m in the process of setting myself up as an affordable editor. Feel free to DM me if you’re interested.

Master Brett Nortje
January 25th, 2020, 09:37 PM
Hello, all! I am finally at a point in revising my first book where I am ready to get an editor. Well, I have about a week or two more of revising before it's ready for that, but I've seen that editors can be booked up and it's best to start looking for one before you're fully ready incase you have to wait. Honestly, I am so lost. I was wondering if anyone had any good websites or recommendations for an affordable editor? I am so confused and thus afraid of getting ripped off or getting a low quality editor. There are so many websites etc. that "look" good, so I was wondering which ones you use so I can find a trust-worthy site. Thank you :) p.s. Also, I am a recent (unemployed lol) graduate so I'm hoping to find an editor that is somewhat affordable as I'll have to get a small loan to pay for it.

You have more opportunities than you think. If you were to solicit an English Lecturer, they have referrals to boot and it will be much cheaper. Or, if you were to get a huge amount of contests you write into that are little league, that can be fun to meet people that know people... like kids attending colleges with business communication skills and referrals from the state that are better than you realise at present. Then, there are retired editors that are not senile yet, that would love to take another last shot at it, they would miss the feeling, as I do, of instructing people and things like that, no less.

Your real problem is that they might actually try to help you! That is, when they read it, they are either listening to it, your story, of they are distracted. That if they are distracted, there is the chance of them blaming the text they are reading and then you suffer. But, I digress - if they help you, they read it... look;

They are reading it because it is rated. They change it to be better. Then nobody wants it, because it is them talking as you. That is then you have to change it back to be the original and individual work it was. Are you writing or are they? If they make it better, it is not your story, and, then the story suffers, as it is not them either. That means that if you make changes, make lots of changes, okay? Does it still make you feel good, or are you too going to be negative and just want to finish, it, and I know you know what I am saying!

Advice, yes, changes, yes, ethics, above all else, or the story will suffer and your books won't sell. You need to get there before you can unwind, okay? If you still want to publish for cheap, then maybe build some hype for it?

Bayview
January 26th, 2020, 10:04 PM
What are your plans for this piece of writing? What are your goals for the editing process?

If you're planning to seek a publisher, it's generally not necessary to get an editor first; you may want to get some beta readers, but these should be free.

If you're planning to self-publish, an editor is a good idea, but you need to go into the process knowing that a lot of people don't sell many books when they self-publish.

Overall, it makes me really worried to see you planning to get a loan in order to pay this publisher.

Being edited can be a great learning experience and I would never recommend against it if someone can afford it. But if you get a loan, you need to be sure you'll be able to pay that loan back from income not related to this piece of writing. Making money from writing is a hard slog and there are no guarantees. Please don't gamble any money you can't afford to lose.

LCLee
January 27th, 2020, 12:26 AM
After you’ve exhausted your beta readers and have gone through it until your eyes bleed. Then you should use an editor. Never edit your own book for self publishing. I use Fiverr and I feel like you can sort them out by their ratings, but they still make mistakes. The last book I ran through there had several SPAG errors per chapter. I did eventually get them all when I paid for an Online Book Club review. I’m happy in the last review he only saw one error.