PDA

View Full Version : Wondering which font to use while editing?

katieemma11
October 10th, 2019, 12:11 AM
Hi! I am new here so hopefully I am posting in the right area and that my question makes sense. I am editing/revising my novel right now and I have been using Courier. However, I also know that Times New Roman is recommended as well, and I noticed there is a big page difference depending on the font. If my manuscript is in TNR it might be around 300. If it is in Courier, it might be like 375 pages. SO, my question is: What font is closer to an accurate physical novel page count? If it were converted into a novel right now, would my novel be around 375 pages or 300? I know word count is what's important, but I just can't figure out where I accurately stand while writing. Thanks!
- Katie

bdcharles
October 10th, 2019, 12:17 AM
As I understand it, agents and editors like TNR, 12 point, and (possibly) double or 1.5 line spaced, so I use that. And I believe they prefer that not just for the spaces to write notes in but because it resolves to a rough approximation of what a book would be in print.

Aquilo
October 10th, 2019, 10:24 AM
bdcharles is spot on, but I'll just add:

Don't worry how close it is to a printable book. Edits can see scenes added, deleted etc, not to mention a publisher is going to format it with a lot of other detail: contents page, copyright, disclaimer, dedication, author's previous works, author notes, and bio/contact details, not to mention some use the back for advertising either your previous novels with them or ones from other authors with them who write in your genre. And how they format it for ebook will be different to how they format it for paperback. You're right just keep an eye word count, as that's what a publisher will first look at to see if you've written within a particular count.

And congrats on finishing the novel!

Ralph Rotten
October 10th, 2019, 06:20 PM
TNR. If you send a manuscript using any other font, you have a much-increased chance of rejection without even being read. Some agents/publishers will even say specifically not to send stuff in other fonts. Check writer's guide, as well as their website.

I use TNR all the way through the process because I get a better feel for the book. Funny fonts belong on web sites and Xmas cards...not in professional writing. Just thumb thru a few books and see what fonts you find there.

gary wedlund
March 4th, 2020, 04:04 PM
I am editing/revising my novel right now and I have been using Courier. However, I also know that Times New Roman is recommended as well, and I noticed there is a big page difference depending on the font. If my manuscript is in TNR it might be around 300. If it is in Courier, it might be like 375 pages. SO, my question is: What font is closer to an accurate physical novel page count? If it were converted into a novel right now, would my novel be around 375 pages or 300? I know word count is what's important, but I just can't figure out where I accurately stand while writing. Thanks!
- Katie

If the question related to submissions or publishing, the default would be Times New Roman, 12. Until told otherwise, by whoever the gatekeeper may be.

The question, as I understand it, was phrased to relate to editing. A lot of people love Courier for editing purposes because it has no serifs. The lack of serifs make it cleaner to the eye and thus easier to catch those nasty typos. Conversely, Time New Roman has enough flourish to occasionally hide a typo. While editing you want the former, not the latter. I used to do everything courier, then ship the product Roman. Now, I just do everything Roman, so I just have to be more careful with the typos.