PDA

View Full Version : Painting Europe: Works in Progress

Umree
September 3rd, 2019, 05:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently took a trip to Europe a couple of months ago. I traveled to England, France, Ireland, and Italy. I took a bunch of photos during my travels with the idea of painting each one when I returned to the States. Here is the first image.

This is Ross Castle, Ireland. I started this one on July 23rd, 2019. It is an oil painting, 16x20. These are the base coats. I will post updates when I get a chance to work on it again.

-xXx-
September 3rd, 2019, 11:47 PM
but
i kinnot
seeeeez
it.
*squints*
*still stays an attachment number*
*haz a sad*

BlondeAverageReader
September 4th, 2019, 08:15 AM
but
i kinnot
seeeeez
it.
*squints*
*haz a sad*

Till the painting arrives here’s a link to the history etc

https://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/visit-us/ross-castle/

Umree
September 4th, 2019, 06:42 PM
but
i kinnot
seeeeez
it.
*squints*
*haz a sad*

Sorry, I'm pretty new here... I embedded the image using the little tree icon and it appears in the editing screen. Maybe I did something wrong?

-xXx-
September 4th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I'm pretty new here... I embedded the image using the little tree icon and it appears in the editing screen. Maybe I did something wrong?

does the attachment reference an image file one of your local device(s)?
(flash/hard drive, etc)

is the image uploaded to your WF profile album,
but viewing privileges are restricted?

i guess that's where i would start.

the av's are very kewl,
and i am quite curious about your other images.
:)

Umree
September 4th, 2019, 10:42 PM
does the attachment reference an image file one of your local device(s)?
(flash/hard drive, etc)

is the image uploaded to your WF profile album,
but viewing privileges are restricted?

i guess that's where i would start.

the av's are very kewl,
and i am quite curious about your other images.
:)

Thank you for your suggestions! I think I figured out the upload process now (at least I hope I did. I can see the image in the post, anyway). I appreciate the kind words as well, I plan on sharing more paintings soon.

Umree
September 6th, 2019, 07:02 AM
Here is a quick update. Added more light and made a few corrections to the piece.

escorial
September 8th, 2019, 12:23 PM
first one has that solid bold look that a darker palette brings and the following light touch gives the building a softer look.....

Umree
September 8th, 2019, 06:11 PM
first one has that solid bold look that a darker palette brings and the following light touch gives the building a softer look.....

I follow the light to dark approach when painting and generally use a light palette. The first image looks bold due to graphite residue from the initial sketch of the piece. I try to get rid of the remaining graphite on the second coat before enhancing contrast and detail on the third. The final product will be much bolder, I just apply the darks at the end.

escorial
September 8th, 2019, 06:23 PM
first one just appeals to my eye...i like that brutal foreboading presence