PDA

View Full Version : How to MEASURE your author website traffic

Mikeyboy_esq
August 2nd, 2019, 03:19 PM
A well designed author website can be a useful tool to increase visibility of your books and build an email list. To make the most impact, authors should share their website address on social media, the back matter of their book, the sales description of their book, their Author Central page, etc.

But how do you know if your website is reaching an audience? I recommend checking your website dashboard for the number of visitors and (more important) where they found your website. If you use Wordpress for your site and upload a plugin (like the one I use called Jetpack), you can find the “referrers” information by clicking on the button in your dashboard labelled VIEW ALL STATS.

For example, you can see below that most of my website’s visitors during the last year came from FB and Google. Having this information can help me make decisions regarding how much time and advertising dollars I should spend on those sites in the future. Another effective tool that I use to monitor website traffic is Google Analytics (which is free and you can download their phone app for added convenience). The point here is that you won’t know how effective your website is unless you measure its traffic and determine how visitors are finding it. I hope this tip helps my fellow authors!

Aquilo
August 2nd, 2019, 11:05 PM
I think they're good if you're just starting out. I use Wix, and they have their own Wix SEO manager, which will help make sure you're landing page is using all the right key phrases that you are set in the settings metadata. This helps with how high up on the search engine you can be placed. I used to check in monthly with Google Analytics too, now I don't use it as much. Certainly, for helping find where most of your traffic comes from in the early days, it's a good thing to do.

Ralph Rotten
August 4th, 2019, 04:39 AM
I don't really use my website as anything more than a business card, and somewhere to house my email.
All my marketing efforts are to get people to Amazon where they can actually buy my books.
I never saw the point of driving traffic to an author website unless you sell content there.
But that's just me.

My godaddy site has web traffic reports, but I can't remember the last time I checked them.
I think my wife's site gets more traffic than mine. :joyous:

Mikeyboy_esq
August 9th, 2019, 04:35 PM
I agree that the author website is much more important/useful if you post meaningful content there. To draw traffic, I posted about 10 articles on my website and then I posted links to these articles on various social media sites. Its also a good idea to post links on your website so that visitors can find your books for sale on Amazon, etc. and have a place where readers can sign up for your email list (assuming that you intend to connect with your email list from time to time).