PDA

View Full Version : I break so many rules...

50shadesofdoubt
August 1st, 2019, 03:31 PM
Not because I wanted to, it just happened. I write in Deep 3rd POV with a Dual POV, with first person inner thoughts incorporated for all. The many betas's I've had say it works because I'm concise as to who'd mind I'm in, but yeah...... I feel my words speak, tell the story in a very unique way, and give my reader a full experience, but cant help but worry. Can I break the rules this bad? That said, I'm not asking the puristists, but the rule breakers.,

Ralph Rotten
August 1st, 2019, 06:04 PM
I cannot comment on work I have not seen.

Amnesiac
August 1st, 2019, 06:50 PM
Not because I wanted to, it just happened. I write in Deep 3rd POV with a Dual POV, with first person inner thoughts incorporated for all. The many betas's I've had say it works because I'm concise as to who'd mind I'm in, but yeah...... I feel my words speak, tell the story in a very unique way, and give my reader a full experience, but cant help but worry. Can I break the rules this bad? That said, I'm not asking the puristists, but the rule breakers.,

Just write. Write like your ass is on fire. Write, write, and write. Everything can be fixed in the editing. :-)

Ralph Rotten
August 2nd, 2019, 02:16 PM
The first 200,000 words are just practice. :coffeescreen:

DATo
August 5th, 2019, 10:45 AM

I'm having some difficulty understanding your problem. If the narrator is 3rd person POV then the narrator is privy to the inner thoughts of all the characters. I don't know what you mean by "Dual POV". I can only assume you mean that the 3rd person narrator has two points of view. Is this correct?

JesterTRT
August 14th, 2019, 12:19 PM
I've seen a few famous writers who break rules all the time. If it works for your story, then it works.

seigfried007
August 14th, 2019, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure what deep 3rd is. Third perspective is either limited or omniscient. Sounds like you're writing the thoughts/POVs of two characters. If the thoughts of both characters are known with no chapter/scene breaks between them, it's omniscient. If they have breaks between them (each character's thoughts in its own area), it's 3rd limited. Lots of writers do either or both of these, so you're not being a rule breaker at all from what I understand of your OP.

3rd omni

She's so hot, thought John.
He's such an idiot, Jane thought.

3rd limited

She's so hot, thought John.
He's such an idiot, Jane thought.

While omniscient (the God perspective) can include the thoughts of any character and facts that the characters have no business knowing, it doesn't have to include the thoughts of more than one character or a ton of blatant foreshadowing (little did he know that blah-blah was going to happen!).

Sounds like you've got a small case of omni from your OP, and there's nothing wrong with writing omni.

Sam
August 14th, 2019, 01:15 PM
There is only one rule.

Entertain the reader. If you can do that breaking all of the 'rules', more power to you.

epimetheus
August 14th, 2019, 01:25 PM
I once saw a documentary on the rules of making good music. They took an empirical approach: taking the 100 most popular tracks and seeing what rules they could tease out. Having done so they then noticed that Bohemian Rhapsody, ranked the most popular, broke all of their rules.