PDA

View Full Version : Is my character too much of a carbon copy?

caters
July 15th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Interview with Beethoven

Anna: Do you have any friends? Who are your friends?

Beethoven: Yes, I have a few friends. As for who they are, there is you, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Handel, and I think that's it.

Anna: If you could save only 1 thing from a fire, what would it be?

Beethoven: My book of compositions. You will find everything from Symphony no. 5 to Moonlight Sonata to Rondo a Capriccio in there.

Anna: Wow, that must be a big book. Were you born rich?

Beethoven: No, most of my family has been poor and I started out poor. It wasn't until I was in my teenage years that things started to turn in my favor. When I was a child, everybody was still praising Mozart for his seemingly effortless composition. In contrast, they thought I was mediocre both in composition and playing skill.

Anna: That must have frustrated you. I have never thought of you as being mediocre. How did you turn things around?

Beethoven: When I got into my teenage years, I suddenly got this angst in me. They were still thinking of Mozart as being the best composer around. This angst started out verbal, but that would get me nowhere. So then I thought that maybe instead of lashing my angst out at others, I should lash it out in my music.

Anna: And did they think that you deserve to be on the same grounding as Mozart, one of the best composers afterwards?

Beethoven: Not right away, but they did call me the best teenage pianist after that so that must be something.

Anna: So, what did it take for them to consider you to be the best composer?

Beethoven: They wanted to see how well I could compose for an orchestra. So I decided to compose a symphony.

Anna: And did that turn things in your favor?

Beethoven: It did indeed. And this fed into a vicious cycle of orchestral composition. By the time that I finished working on my fifth symphony, I had so much money that I could afford a concert grand. The hard part was getting the piano into my home.

Anna: Now, what causes you to get so stressed out that you don't want me anywhere near you sometimes?

Beethoven: Letters are one definite cause of stress. Now, I'm not talking about invitation letters or personal letters. No, I'm talking about letters that specifically ask me to compose a piece. But thanks to you, I am ignoring more of these letters instead of getting stressed out over every single one.

Anna: What is your favorite color?

Beethoven: Black. I wear black clothes all the time because any stains there are, are hard to see. And I love playing music that involves the black keys a significant amount. That is part of why C minor is my key.

Anna: If the river were to flood and I got caught in it, would you save me? Would you be able to hear me from 5 miles away?

Beethoven: Of course I would save you if you got caught in the river during a flood. I might not be the best athlete, but I do have quite a bit of stamina as well as speed. If nobody else saved you first, I would still be running in the direction of the river flow until I got you out of the river. And yes, I would be able to hear you from 5 miles away.

So is my character believable? Is it too much of a carbon copy of the real Ludwig van Beethoven? Or does it have just enough difference from the real Ludwig van Beethoven that it feels like it is based off of the real Ludwig van Beethoven but isn't a carbon copy of him?

seigfried007
July 16th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Not sure how close you're aiming for, but Beethoven was deaf... so he couldn't hear anyone 5 miles away.

What are you planning to do with this character?

Soda_Fox
July 16th, 2019, 01:36 AM
I'd also like to know where you're going with this, but I think for a bit of flair, maybe have Beethoven demand Anna speak up, and have Anna fluctuate between shouting and nervous quiet moments?

caters
July 16th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Well let's see, I already have done quite a bit with this character in my composer story. Here is a full list of how Beethoven has so far been involved in my story in chronological order:

Composing in the peace of the river as the MC tries to find him
Walks towards the MC and starts talking
Arranges for 4 composers to repair the abandoned houseboat
Helps move the piano out of the abandoned houseboat after the composers already at the houseboat realize that the piano there has no wheels
Catches Chopin before he falls into the river and tells him to go home and rest
Wakes the MC up early
Reminds her of the concert
Has breakfast at her houseboat
Listens to and compliments on the MC's piano playing
Talks to Liszt and Mozart at the concert
Conducts his fifth symphony
Continues conducting even once the orchestra has stopped playing
Talks to Handel about why he kept on conducting, even after the symphony was over
Cries in happiness over the sonata she dedicated to him
Holds on to her shoulder as she leads the composers out of the concert hall
Comes up with the idea of throwing a composer party
Knocks the MC's door and invites her to go to the Composers Bed and Breakfast with him
Talks with her about who should send the invitations
Walks around town with her to see where the party should be at
Knocks the castle door to confirm that it is Bach's castle and not somebody else's castle
Has dinner with Bach
Helps the MC go back home
Makes a conference call with all the invited composers and invites the MC to the conference call
Waits for everybody at the town square
Walks with everyone to Bach's castle
Dances with Mozart before dinner
Has dinner with everybody
Asks Bach how he is able to take care of 20 children

And every time that I refer to the MC or her or she in that list, I'm referring to Anna in the character interview. And all this involvement is over the course of 5 chapters.

Ralph Rotten
July 16th, 2019, 06:59 PM
It sounds like someone interviewing themselves.
Their voices are the same, dialog patterns are the same.

Bard_Daniel
July 18th, 2019, 01:38 AM
I admire the enthusiasm, but have you thought of maybe researching (reading/buying) copies of the various biographies of these characters? Your idea is good, but I think you need more research if you want to connect with your target audience (which is going to be, I'll guess, highly educated about their composers.)

Just a thought!

Periander
July 19th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Composing in the peace of the river as the MC tries to find him
Walks towards the MC and starts talking
Arranges for 4 composers to repair the abandoned houseboat
Helps move the piano out of the abandoned houseboat after the composers already at the houseboat realize that the piano there has no wheels
Catches Chopin before he falls into the river and tells him to go home and rest
Wakes the MC up early
Reminds her of the concert
Has breakfast at her houseboat
Listens to and compliments on the MC's piano playing
Talks to Liszt and Mozart at the concert
Conducts his fifth symphony
Continues conducting even once the orchestra has stopped playing
Talks to Handel about why he kept on conducting, even after the symphony was over
Cries in happiness over the sonata she dedicated to him
Holds on to her shoulder as she leads the composers out of the concert hall
Comes up with the idea of throwing a composer party
Knocks the MC's door and invites her to go to the Composers Bed and Breakfast with him
Talks with her about who should send the invitations
Walks around town with her to see where the party should be at
Knocks the castle door to confirm that it is Bach's castle and not somebody else's castle
Has dinner with Bach
Helps the MC go back home
Makes a conference call with all the invited composers and invites the MC to the conference call
Waits for everybody at the town square
Walks with everyone to Bach's castle
Dances with Mozart before dinner
Has dinner with everybody
Asks Bach how he is able to take care of 20 children

This isn't a story.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/8b/79/2d8b791cabf67142599c49f587c4b465.jpg

THIS is a story.

JustRob
July 19th, 2019, 05:58 PM
This isn't a story.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/8b/79/2d8b791cabf67142599c49f587c4b465.jpg

THIS is a story.

It looks conceptually predictable though, much like Bach's music. We've progressed a long way up the fractal scale since then, at least in music, I believe.