PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Self-Portrait/Mixed Media

SilverMoon
May 4th, 2019, 03:27 AM
Still playing dress-up

https://www.writingforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23723&thumb=1&d=1556936540

Bard_Daniel
May 4th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Quite a nice piece.

Does it classify as collage? :)

SilverMoon
May 4th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Yes, Bard. It's just a matter of cutting images out of magazines and playing around with them. The only "whole piece" is the face. Look at the sleeve cuff- I cut our parts of a dress to create it. The hat is a small cut-out from a winter coat, topped with buttons instead of flowers.

Real fabric and lace qualifies this as a "mixed media" piece but is not necessary when working with this genre. Most all of my work is fairly moody. Oh! A few are absolutely cRaZy! :topsy_turvy:

You can find them in my "Collage Album" on my Profile Page.

PS "collage'" means "glue" in French

Thomas Norman
May 5th, 2019, 10:05 AM
What an exquisite piece this is. I do like the composition of it, the positioning of the face in relation to the frame is perfect and the mix of objects used is inventive and rewarding to the eye. A lovely work.

Many, many years ago a young lady made a collage for me from home-made paper of different colours and shapes; it is beautiful. I think I still have it somewhere!

SilverMoon
May 6th, 2019, 01:53 AM
Thank you, Thomas. I really do enjoy pairing the refined with the quirky! I never have a "plot" in mind when working with Collage'. "It's kind of like "Writing by the Headlights". One image just leads to another. And I get to be a kid! Nothing like bringing out the scissors and cut colorful pictures out from magazines!

I would love to see the Collage' your lady friend made for you. There's no rule (that I know of!) that says you can't post creative gifts from friends!

Jacqui Jay
May 8th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Beautiful work, so much to look at and take in. I've never tried collage, but this has really inspired me to have a go.

SilverMoon
May 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Hi, Jacqui, Thank you. It really is much fun! So glad this piece inspired you to try your hand at it. Laurie

-xXx-
May 9th, 2019, 10:31 PM
am seeing what was collage
identified as "found images"
in local galleries.
;)

SilverMoon
May 12th, 2019, 02:38 AM
That sound interesting 'Found Images". I will have to look into that. Thanks! Laurie

-xXx-
May 13th, 2019, 07:13 PM
pretty sure you invented it...
jussayin'
;)